Yet another plant ID needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The first plant looks a lot like Hemigraphis repanda aka Dragon's Tongue. I've seen this sold as a true aquatic plant before but I suspect it is actually a marginal/bog plant and may not do well in the long term when kept submersed. I would keep your eye on it and pull it out of the tank if it shows signs of disintegrating.

The second pic could certainly be L. glandulosa. I have a hard time telling what color it is in the picture but the leaves certainly resemble L. glandulosa and if the leaves are a nice red/wine color then that's likely what you've got :) A great plant that likes lots of light.

No clue on #2, but that first one looks a lot like Dragon's Flame that I once bought, with isn't a true aquatic, so I think Travis is right, that its not a true aquatic simliar to what I had, which rotted away in a few days.

Oh well. If it starts to rot then I guess I'll just have another little potted plant to go along with my green hedge.

It really bugs me when they sell plants for tanks that aren't true aquatics ! I came home with three mondo grass pieces the other day - I didn't bother to look it up until AFTER I planted it. It really looked nice but I ripped it back up and traded them in for a second sword.
And the girls at the PetSmart actually told me that it IS a true aquatic, to boot, when I brought it back. I said "ok, whatever, lets just say I changed my mind and want a sword instead"

Purrbox said:
Looks like it might be Elatine Triandra.

Yea, I think that might be it. What do you use for reference Purrbox, or do you just know that many plants? I can never figure plant ID's out and I have several plant books :oops: .

That just happens to be one of the plants I have. I tend to be fairly descent at recognizing the ones that I've had for any reasonable length of time.

Again :p I have to agree with Purrbox: that is without a doubt Elatine triandra. It is one of the best ground-cover plants I have ever kept. It grows very quickly, is quite invasive, but if kept trimmed will make an incredible carpet. Better than even Glosso in my opinion. Nice, nice little plant :)

E. triandra is a ground-creeping plant that doesn't get over 1" above the substrate when it is happy. It grows in a manner almost identical to Glosso, although it isn't quite as picky. I love the stuff. It almost looks fluffy when it gets thick :)

I definately wouldn't put it in anything smaller than a 10 gallon as it spreads much too quickly. I still haven't decided whether or not I feel that it grows too quickly for a 10 gallon. When it's not getting quite as much light it grows upward and makes a very attractive stem plant. It's also a great indicator plant for when your Fe is too low.

I've had this little clump of the stuff for a few weeks and it has doubled in size since. I just moved it from my 20gal to the 40gal. It was being taken over by dwarf saggitaria. I really need to decide what ground cover I'm going to use in the 40. Currently I have 4 leaf clover, dwarf sag, Hairgrass, and now elatine triandra. I do have a unused 20gal tall, I wonder if... no my wife would kill me if I setup another tank :lol: .

dont tell her!!! just hide it in the closet. but when she askes what that weird glo is coming from the closet just tell her u are breeding super nuclear mutant monkeys so she wont be suspicious :)

Back
Top Bottom