your advice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i really really like the color of my substrate but its very rocky, i need something more fine for my plants. i dont want anything dark. i'm thinking about putting somthing under my gravel. can you think of anything with the same tone? 100_0491.jpg
the tank wont look anything like it does now i just dont want to lose my gravel.

Eco-Complete is good, but very dark, and Fluorite is good also, and is a similar red color to what you have.

Whatever you put under it, as long as it is finer than what you have on top and won't be mixed around, won't show. You could even put a thicker layer of gravel at the front glass, with the plant substrate just behind it, so you don't see the difference from the front of the tank.

ok. i looked up the eco complete and i'm not sure i like the way it looks, i might have to put it under my gravel.

now this and other products contain nutirents and minerals. how long untill it has to be replaced to give more nutrients and minerals.

If you want to keep what you have, you'll really have to take it up and put an aquatic soil underneath it, so it won't really matter what the plant soil looks like -your gravel will cover it. As long as the gravel on top is of larger grain than the soil beneath, it will stay there. I have used Fluorite for many years, however, and it is very similar to what you have pictured.

Alternatively, you could use your current gravel as a planting substrate (assuming it is not TOO big and is of typical aquarium gravel size) and use root tabs that you insert adjacent to rooted plants, so the nutrients are available to them in the substrate. Also, you can stick to plants that are not root feeders, like Anubias sp., java fern/moss and hornwort, for example.

Ideally, though, you'd start with a nice quality plant substrate, but you'll have to start over with your tank, and carefully put your gravel atop it AFTER you plant your plants, so the planting process does not mix everything up again.

Schultz Aquasoil (same as the ADA?) that I use looks pretty much the same as your gravel.

I would not suggest layering, if you (or your fish) are into redecorating .... I started out with a layered substrate & now everything is totally mixed up.

I would not suggest layering, if you (or your fish) are into redecorating .... I started out with a layered substrate & now everything is totally mixed up.

Too true, and a good point.

That is why when you look at the tanks of the elite planted aquarium keepers, they have very few non-boisterous fish, and maybe some shrimp, lol. I even find that wee little cory cats will expose the roots of my swords, etc. Something to think of when planning your planted tank.

I was also going to suggest that Schultz Aquatic soil is about the same color as your gravel. I have it in my 36 but am not thrilled with it. I'd try the root tab idea first if you're set on keeping your current substrate.

Edit: I just noticed that at least two of the plants on the right hand side of your tank are not true aquatics. The plant with the long stripy leaves (Dracaena sp.) and the one with the leaves with the purple undersides. I do not understand why those two plants are consistently sold as aquatics when they are not. Doesn't matter what you do with your substrate those plants will not survive submerged.

Last edited:
Edit: I just noticed that at least two of the plants on the right hand side of your tank are not true aquatics. The plant with the long stripy leaves (Dracaena sp.) and the one with the leaves with the purple undersides. I do not understand why those two plants are consistently sold as aquatics when they are not. Doesn't matter what you do with your substrate those plants will not survive submerged.

Yes, good call. I didn't enlarge the picture earlier to see that. I am thinking it is possible the plants on the left are non-aquatics as well.

PlantGeek.net - Trichomanes javanicum <- they look like aqua ferns to me.

This site PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide has a great list of non-aquatics that are often sold as aquatic to the unsuspecting. They got me in the beginning too.

you guys are awesome thanks. i havent been able to see a pic of what the shultz stuff looks like. i think i might just go with flourite. it likes pretty good.

thanks for that link fort! i love forums and looks like they have lots of good info. ok. so the two plants on the right arent aquatics, what about the grass that is in the front of them. that link you sent me has a plant mondo grass that looks like mine and it says its not true aquatic but i've seen it in lots of the planted pics.
the fern that i have is much different fern than what was in that pick. it was starting to die untill i changed my lights. now its lifting and growing new leafs and tunring a little green again.

microsword and dwarf sag. have the appearance of mondo grass somewhat, so that might be what you are seeing.

There is actual liriope (terrestrial mondo grass) like you'd plant along your sidewalk in your yard for sale at many of the chain LFS's, which won't work for very long. I don't get it!

good deal. There are a lot of grass like plants, so the plants you have seen may not have been mondo grass.

right!? what the heck. do you think that the lfs knew what he was doing by selling me them? i dont think that im going back to that store ever again anyway. i bought tatoo mollys from there before i found out what happens to them.

Back
Top Bottom