Your first try at aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.

wow, looks like i've scored the first post on this new forum! cool. 8)
Ok. I thought that a good opening topic/subject would be...
Your first attempt at aqua-scaping.
What it looked like, what you did right what you did wrong...how it's changed, evolved and how it is now.

I'd seen many great planted tanks before I started my own tank. That's what made me start this hobby.
However, it seems that none of that inspriring aqau-scaped brilliance rubbed off on me! haha. Here is my first attempt...

It's basically stayed the same since. All the ground work is the same. However, the plants have been changed around and a few more rocks added...

Anyways.
Hope this forum takes off!
Keep it cool.
Ryland.

Attachments

• pb240168_842.jpg
    pb240168_842.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 108
Here's my first aquascape.....

75g31.jpg

Here is my 1st try. IThis is how it looks currently. I would still like to get some foreground plants as well as a nice piece of driftwood for the open area on the right side.
55GalPlantedTank(Small).JPG

Nice tanks all.
Fastfly48, like how you sloped your substrate. I did the same thing in my 20. Cool effect.

Hey thanks Glenc!
All the books I read before I "scaped" my tank talked about using rocks and stuff to get different layers. It's funny though, I haven't really seen much of this kind of "scaping" in the tank here...
Here's my tank now.
Basically the same layout. I've just pushed the rock and plants on the left hand side to the back of the tank...and added a few more bits and peices...

Attachments

• p2220223__custom__885.jpg
    p2220223__custom__885.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 66
Excellent Ry. The tank has a very natural look. Your eye is drawn to sloping effect on the left side and you've used the rocks nicely in that corner.

Aw thanks for the kind words Brian.
I've gone all mushy now :p
It's changed again since that picute, but It'll never be finished.
Hoping to put up some new pictures soon-ish.

I'm actually thinking of changing the backdrop picture. I think it might be letting the tank down. It makes it look like the plants just go forever beyond the back glass.
I was thinknig that a rocky backdrop might give the tank more depth and help contrast and highlight the plants in the tank? Make the tank look like it's more like a snap-shot?
Am I on the right track there? :p
I'm a little hesitant just ripping off this backdrop, becasue it's so darn hard to put it back on and have look neat :s

Cheers.
Ryland

My 75g when I first started out.

img_625414_0_8d2a9295d860703d871bcba3db99f085.jpg

This pic was taken in the beginning of December. After seeing other people's planted tanks on this site, I got really inspired and had to go out and get lots of other different species of plants. I moved all but one of my amazons out because if they were to grow full size, I wouldn't have had any room for my other plants.

OK. These are my overly critical thoughts Friendly. Your tank looks great now but........
as those swords grow they will dominate the aquascape. It's fine to have a single plant do that, but not so many of one species that will grow huge. Again, JMO. Also I think you need to combine some harder textures (like rocks or driftwood), to give it some depth.

Rys' tank is really inspiring as he has achieved that IMO.

BrianNY said:
OK. These are my overly critical thoughts Friendly. Your tank looks great now but........
as those swords grow they will dominate the aquascape. It's fine to have a single plant do that, but not so many of one species that will grow huge. Again, JMO. Also I think you need to combine some harder textures (like rocks or driftwood), to give it some depth.

Rys' tank is really inspiring as he has achieved that IMO.

lol I'm not sure if you read the bottom part of my post as I did mentioned that I took out the amazons except for one. I do have some driftwood in the corner, but it's kinda hidden from view by the bacopa if you look straight at the tank. I posted a new pic of my tank in another thread and if you could give me your thoughts and suggestions there that would be great!

:oops: I just did read that. Well, we are thinking alike. :)

Here is my first try at an real aquascape. I set it up yesterday.

Attachments

• 2005_0422image0071_372.jpg
    2005_0422image0071_372.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 66
Here's my first attempt. Started this tank in January. Unfortunately I'm having some problems with what looks to be green hair algae. Sorry for the blurry photo!
00085600.jpg

Very nice Hashbaz...........looks great.

Orcus..........got any SAE's?
They'll help with the algae.

Here is my first attempt. I got the gravel before I decided to have real plants in it, but now since I have it planted I like the contrast of the blue with the green and red of the plants.

Attachments

• tanklateapril_332.jpg
    tanklateapril_332.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 42
Here's some steps my 75g took on over a 5 month period.
Frist attemped
f1a17ab3.jpg

Then here's the lastest hot of the tank. I've got a 3 x 2 liter bottles DIY Co2 system keeping the Co2 at 23ppm, With a DIY lighten 3bulb shop light 2x 55w aqua glow 65000k ,1x 65w sun glow 40000k , A 7 bulb L.E.D. blue light moon lighting. It's not the best at keeping plants green but will let them grow and grow plum out of the tank if i let them { and they have LOL} hope you like it.
ef41b5cc.jpg

Full shot of it.

ef4ffb71.jpg

The jungle vail curtan
ef4ffbbf.jpg

hello all. I'm about to start a 55 gallon tank...Ive never scaped before. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom