Yucky Taiwan Moss "Tree"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterwoman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!
I’m new to this forum and am looking forward to being able to discuss my hobby with others. I hope to get lots of info from you all, and share what I have learned over the last few years. I would love to be able help anyone avoid some of the pitfalls I have encountered.
About 4 months ago I shut down my 75 gallon fresh water aquarium, for various reasons including issues with zillions of trumpet snails, and the fact that most of my best fish had died when I was out of town on vacation. I gave the rest of my fish away, and emptied out the substrate into my garden. it took me several months to decide what I wanted to do next, and to obtain the substrate I wanted to use.
So this time, I decided on a planted aquarium, using some onyx I got at a defunct mine in Mexico, and a Manzanita branch “tree” as my main structures. All of the above were boiled for hours before going into the tank. It is a show tank (only 13” front to back) which is very limiting, but I think this set up will be ok once the plants grow in.
The tank has been cycling for about 2 months now, and I only finished putting in the plants about 3 weeks ago. They are as follows:
dwarf baby tears
dwarf hairgrass
(small form) Narrow leaf chain sword
Myriophyllum aquaticum
a tiny Bolbitis
Marsh Mermaidweed
3 small sticks of Hygrophila pinnatifida
Taiwan moss (tied onto the branches of my Manzanita)
I also added 15 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 days ago, as my cycling fish.
Everything is doing great EXCEPT the Taiwan moss!?! Go figure! It is a sickly grey green color and there is some grey alge-like gunk growing on the otherwise bare parts of the Manzanita. This was not happening before the moss was attached to the wood. In fact, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t there 3 days ago, when I did a (40 %) water change. I only noticed it yesterday. I tested my water before and 2 days after the water change and everything is neutral except the water hardness wich is always high (7.8). So- anybody got any ideas or a experienced a similar problem? In the past moss has alway been something I had to keep from taking over... a no-brainer...
Oh yeah- the water temp is 79 degrees and I have been using Florin Multi liquid plant food as directed on the lable. I have attached 2 photos so you can see what I have been talking about.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Waterwoman

Attachments

• photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 112
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 105
That is fungus/mold and it commonly happens on that type of wood. You can leave it alone and wait for it to go away or you can spot treat it with Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. You would draw up 3ml of Peroxide for every 10g of tank water, then slowly squirt it on the algae as close to the algae as you can get. You might have to do this every day until it's completely treated or if you can take it out and treat it I'd do that. If you treat in tank you have to turn your lights and filters off for 20 minutes. If you treat outside the tank then put the branch in a sink lined with paper towels and literally pour the peroxide over the entire thing. Then wrap the wet paper towels over the branch/moss. Leave sit for 20 minutes and then return to tank without rinsing.

Wow- thanks, Rivercats. I will try using peroxide, in the sink, today. Do you think the mold is affecting the Taiwan moss or separate issue? Any thoughts?

It's hard to say if it is or isn't. What ferts are you using and do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

waterwoman, is your wood fresh cut or did you let it dry before putting it in your tank? Reason I ask is because it happens more commonly with fresh cut wood. Took me to experience it first hand but fresh cut wood will secret a sap like liquid and then over time it will begin to mold. And thats what forms that slimy hanging substance. I've tried everything from scraping to peroxide to try to rid it to no success. Scrap it and it just grows back. Short of submerging the entire thig in peroxide and water solution for a week to kill everything - I had to just throw out the peice of wood.

I hope you were able to find a solution. If you did, please share it on here so that others may learn.

Back
Top Bottom