Yukky Java Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I returned my four gourami to the LFS I got some ottos for my 12 gallon and this container of Java Moss. When I got it home I thought it looked dead.

What do you folks think?

:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 149
greetings.

the white stuff could be water evapoation (tho the pic is bad). have you tried opening the lid and seeing how it looks?

It is pretty tough to kill java moss. Even if it doesn't look great it will most likely bounce back once put into your tank, assuming your lighting is decent.

I agree that it's pretty hard to actually kill without it being able to bounce back. I'd just rinse it off well, attach it to DW, and place it where it will recieve good light. I got in some flame moss last year that was totally brown and truely looked dead but went ahead and attached it to my DW and it did finally green up and started to grow. It took awhile so you just need to be patient with it.

Clarification?

greetings.

the white stuff could be water evapoation (tho the pic is bad). have you tried opening the lid and seeing how it looks?

I took it out of the original container (with the price) and rinsed it and put it in an empty betta cup for the photo. There is no white stuff, sorry. Closeups attached.:oops:

Mary

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 120
Definitely still good. Mine was almost all brown when I got it and now it is an awesome shade of green. Stuff bounces back like a pro.

I agree with the above. It's Kinda funny but one of my LFS just started getting java moss packaged the same way. When I saw it floating in the tanks in those solo cups I laughingly ask the new store manager if he was trying kill it or sell it. He smiled and admitted he knew nothing about fish or aquatic plants and asked me what to do. I just said I'm no expert but putting holes in the cup would let fresh water in at least.

These cups weren't even in water, just sitting on a shelf! Well, lets see what happens…

Attachments

• image-2860652435.jpg
    image-2860652435.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom