Ziggs 30 Gallon Planted Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
Pictures will be coming soon.

So this is my first Aquarium, and my first build. I've gone the planted route, with soil and gravel substrate. For the Substrate, i've already planted between 1 and 1.5 inches of Miracle-gro organic soil, with the exception of a small mound to plant an Amazon sword. On top of that, i will have 1 Inch of Black gravel. I've had the Miracle Gro soaked in water and sitting outside in a bucket for about a week, hopefully most of the Tannins and the excess Ammonia have leaked out by now.

I Ordered the plants from Sweet Aquatics, but i have a feeling I Ordered way to much from them, for my size tank. 1 Amazon Sword, 2 Microswords, 1 Anubias Bareteri, 2 Water Wisteria, 1 Anacharis, 5 Corkscrew Vallisernia, 1 Apongeton, 3 Cryptocorynes, 2 Java Ferns, 1 Hornwort, and 1 Riccia.

I'm going to have a Castle decoration inside the tank, and i plan to attach the Java Fern and Anubias to the sides of it. As for Equipment goes, i'm not going to be using a Filter, as i've read that with enough plants one wont be needed. The only equipment i have are the heater, and a power head for water movement. Although if the plants arent doing a good enough job, the powerhead has a plug for a small filter.

Once the plants arrive, I'm still deciding weather to do fishless or fish cycling. Since i lack a Filter, i'm not sure how that will go. I plan to let the water sit for about 4 - 5 days with just the plants, and then either buy 3 Guppies to Cycle it, or buy some quickstart.

For the stock of fish i plan the following

3 Male Guppies
5 - 6 Glofish
1 Dwarf Gournami
Bottom Feeder, TBD

Anymore suggestions would be nice, i still have a little bit of room for more fish but i'm unsure of what else to get.

Ziggs180 said:
Pictures will be coming soon.

So this is my first Aquarium, and my first build. I've gone the planted route, with soil and gravel substrate. For the Substrate, i've already planted between 1 and 1.5 inches of Miracle-gro organic soil, with the exception of a small mound to plant an Amazon sword. On top of that, i will have 1 Inch of Black gravel. I've had the Miracle Gro soaked in water and sitting outside in a bucket for about a week, hopefully most of the Tannins and the excess Ammonia have leaked out by now.

I Ordered the plants from Sweet Aquatics, but i have a feeling I Ordered way to much from them, for my size tank. 1 Amazon Sword, 2 Microswords, 1 Anubias Bareteri, 2 Water Wisteria, 1 Anacharis, 5 Corkscrew Vallisernia, 1 Apongeton, 3 Cryptocorynes, 2 Java Ferns, 1 Hornwort, and 1 Riccia.

I'm going to have a Castle decoration inside the tank, and i plan to attach the Java Fern and Anubias to the sides of it. As for Equipment goes, i'm not going to be using a Filter, as i've read that with enough plants one wont be needed. The only equipment i have are the heater, and a power head for water movement. Although if the plants arent doing a good enough job, the powerhead has a plug for a small filter.

Once the plants arrive, I'm still deciding weather to do fishless or fish cycling. Since i lack a Filter, i'm not sure how that will go. I plan to let the water sit for about 4 - 5 days with just the plants, and then either buy 3 Guppies to Cycle it, or buy some quickstart.

For the stock of fish i plan the following

3 Male Guppies
5 - 6 Glofish
1 Dwarf Gournami
Bottom Feeder, TBD

Anymore suggestions would be nice, i still have a little bit of room for more fish but i'm unsure of what else to get.

Hmm I have a heavily planted 10g and I still have a filter! I reckon and strong believe u will need a filter especially when u are gonna have fish in it! U can buy a internal filter that will create water movement and filter ur water at the same time!

And I strongly u doin a fishless cycle! So much better for u and ur fish! We have an awesome fishless cycle thread by eco on AA! Check It out!

You're talking about the Walstad method, right?

I'd suggest you do some serious research, since that type of system is more a planted tank with very few fish, rather than what most people do here.

Mr. Limpet said:
You're talking about the Walstad method, right?

I'd suggest you do some serious research, since that type of system is more a planted tank with very few fish, rather than what most people do here.

Sorry was that directed to me? Hahahahahahaha

Nope, you have filter. The Walstad method is using a heavily planted tank without a filter to control the water parameters. You really need to follow a certain formula is setting up a system like that from what I've read on the subject.

Mr. Limpet said:
Nope, you have filter. The Walstad method is using a heavily planted tank without a filter to control the water parameters. You really need to follow a certain formula is setting up a system like that from what I've read on the subject.

O wow! Ok cool! Sounds interesting! I'm gonna research that and add it to my encyclopedia (brain) hahaha thanks!

I've done plenty research on the Walstadt method, and looked around the forum she frequents.

Anyways, i got the plants in today, and have them planted with the tank halfway done. There isn't much cloudyness with the tank, and i see alot of bubbles appearing on the plants. I take it this is oxygen, which is very good. The surface of the water has chunks of dirt though (one of the vals uprooted, and trying to root it back, i kicked up some dirt)

As for no filter, i was told by others that are doing the Walstadt method that none is needed as long as you heavily plant, and you can moderatly stock a tank right from the get-go. however i want to cycle it first, before doing so.

dscf0905w.jpg

The Tank, unplanted.

dscf0907b.jpg

The Castle

dscf0915b.jpg

Far Shot, Water is at approximatly Half level for now. Gonig to fill it up more or do water change depending on how much dirt has or has not settled yet.

dscf0918d.jpg

Close shot

dscf0914g.jpg

Rear shot of the Castle

dscf0910r.jpg

Front shot, Hornwort floating

My Biggest concern so far is the Amazon Sword, the edges of some of the leaves look brownish. Could it be dying? Would it be revived?

Sorry but I must disagree with you Mr.Limpet. I have frequented aquatic plant central where Diana Walstad is a member and have done much research on the topic of her method. She used to say a filter was completely un-needed, but she seems to have changed her method a bit. She now says that a filter is not a bad idea, especially since it will clear the water when trimming and re-planting the tank. While not totally necessary, filters certainly can be used with Walstad's method.

adadkins1 said:
Sorry but I must disagree with you Mr.Limpet. I have frequented aquatic plant central where Diana Walstad is a member and have done much research on the topic of her method. She used to say a filter was completely un-needed, but she seems to have changed her method a bit. She now says that a filter is not a bad idea, especially since it will clear the water when trimming and re-planting the tank. While not totally necessary, filters certainly can be used with Walstad's method.

Good to know. I thought her whole system was based on not using any filtration? So does that mean she's given up on the natural aquarium setup (at least in part)?

Here is a post quoted directly from the site:

Sometimes after I've stirred up a lot of soil, I use a mechanical filter to quickly clear the water. Not essential (because the soil eventually settles out anyway), but handy.

The Aqua-Clear submerged powerhead with its Quick Filter attachment is a nice, inexpensive mechanical filter for larger tanks (30 gal and up). It will help filter out larger soil particles.

I like this filter and my Submariner UV Sterilizing filter (for controlling disease and green-water). Both filters are less expensive than a canister filter.

However, any (or no) filter will work. Plants and soil bacteria remove ammonia, so you don't need biological filtration. I've often run tank without any filters.

Given that her original ideology was to have no filter, it seem that she has become a bit more "flexible" on the particular subject.

From what i've read, she advises filters for larger tanks, but they are not needed for smaller tanks.

I am still going to put one on my 2g hex when I do it el natural. I can only imagine how big of a difference it will make after stirring up the substrate.

Nice to say, since I actually have that Powerhead. Update coming real soon, though im still cocnerned about the Amazon Sword.

last night i tested the water. Ph at 8.8, but is expected to fall down to 7.6ish by atleast tommorow. Threw in some water conditioner to get rid of the Chlorine.

This morning i filled up the rest of the tank, the Riccia seemed to have disappeared i'm afraid it got ripped apart when i was putting in the water. The hornwort refuses to float, and just sinks to the bottom and lays down on the planted anacharis. I Installed the powerhead, and turned it down, its forcing alot of plant debris up to the surface, i'm going to try and scoop it out when i do a water change. The water has a slight greeness to it, hoping its not algae.

dscf0921.jpg

Filling up the rest

dscf0923i.jpg

Shot from the front, you can see some debris, the Hornwort just refusing to float.

dscf0926t.jpg

Side shot, Debris more clearly visible.

the Water seems to have been getting Greener over the day, still having difficulty getting the Hornwort to float, although i've placed a tiny part of the hornwort on top of the castle, and another piece on the opposite side basically hanging onto one of the Amazon leaves. the water seems slightly clearer around the hornwort. The Riccia dropped down to the bottom of the tank, and is just floating about. Going to do some water testing later.

Is there a way to get the Hornwort to float besides tethering it? I dont want another Algae Bloom after i do a water test

Check my thread, my tank is ridiculously cloudy. But I didn't let it sit for a week...oops.

I would say tethering is your best option. I have had hornwort do this to me, when you want it to float...it sinks and vice versa.

I've been doodling with the hornwort, seeing if some pieces will float. the Water is still pretty green, but its turned off for the night. i tested the water, the Ph dropped by a ton to about 7.4. Ammonia is at about .25 ppm and Nitrite at .50 ppm. I picked up Tetra start earlier, going to throw it in tommorow after a water change.

No Response? I Guess nobody likes me :(

Anyways, This morning i did a water change, siphoned out about 50% of the water, i was replacing the water when i had a major problem happen. The hose that leads to well water exerted to much pressure and kicked up a ton of dirt, nearly blackening my tank. i did another water change as quick as i could, siphoning out another 50%. at this point i lowered the temperature on the heater, and lowered the power head to cause less surface tension. I refilled the tank with tap water (unable to get the well water), and treated it. had to use buckets and carefully pour them in, cause i had no stand to siphon the water from the bucket to the aquarium. Atleast some of the Hornwort is floating now! The water is still a bit Green, but not as much.

Back
Top Bottom