Zimmanski's 120 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, it's been a while since I posted or even looked at the forum, but after some health issues and some job related stuff I'm back!
I had my 75 gallon tank before a move but because of space issues in the new place I had to downgrade everything and had to go with a 40b for a while. Good news is I'm in a great place now and had the space for a marineland 120 gallon tank(60x18x26). I'm in love. Got all the plants cleaned up and planted from the 40b and transferred the fish, everybody is happy and healthy after their first night. Have to let the plants fill in and buy some new ones, also plan on picking up a few more fish.
In the tank now:
5 clown loaches
3 angelfish
2 botia striata
2 botia angelicus
2 ottos
1 female platy/swordtail mix

Some pics
Old 75ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403375637.837333.jpg
New 120 empty with ADA tourmalineBC, penacP, and bacter 100. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403375737.643806.jpg
Filled up and most done with plantingImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403375754.797238.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, I always love hearing opinions

Thanks! For now I only have some willow moss, hygro corymbosa, a couple red dwarf lilies, and staurogyne repens.

Added 11 glow light and 5 black neon tetras, and 2 sunburst platys. Everyone is doing great so far, and the tetras are schooling together like I thought they would. I was hoping they would swim a little higher in the tank though, maybe they will as they get more comfortable in the new space or as the plants grow taller. Any suggestions for mid/top swimmers? Or plant suggestions? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403486773.815055.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403486801.648564.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403486849.258089.jpg

Last edited:
More driftwood or maybe some bigger rocks. Maybe make a rock wall. Not enough hard scape for me

Added 11 glow light and 5 black neon tetras, and 2 sunburst platys. Everyone is doing great so far, and the tetras are schooling together like I thought they would. I was hoping they would swim a little higher in the tank though, maybe they will as they get more comfortable in the new space or as the plants grow taller. Any suggestions for mid/top swimmers? Or plant suggestions? View attachment 241120View attachment 241121View attachment 241122

Some Threadfin Rainbowfish would make a colorful addition to your tank. If you would want something not as energetic, some Marbled or Platinum Hatchets would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, some Red Flame Swords or Amazon Swords would add some height to your tank. A Crinum Calamistratum plant could be your centerpiece.

Some Threadfin Rainbowfish would make a colorful addition to your tank. If you would want something not as energetic, some Marbled or Platinum Hatchets would be cool.

Also, some Red Flame Swords or Amazon Swords would add some height to your tank. A Crinum Calamistratum plant could be your centerpiece.

I did think about the silver hatches, I think they'd be cool for a tall tank, but I worry because I'll be aiming for medium-medium high lighting for this tank and I know they can be sensitive to the brightness.

I'm staying away from swords in this tank, but good suggestion. The hygro corymbosa will add plenty of height to the tank, just have to let it grow. It had taken over my 75 gallon before, it's only this short now because they have been cramped in a 40 gallon breeder for the last 6 months. I'll look into the crinum, I've never had one of them before

Thanks Jeta! Expect an order from me very soon, need a few new plants to play with.

Update on the tank, everything has adapted very well with the move, haven't lost any fish or plants. The clowns are very happy to say the least with their new home. Plants are doing surprisingly well considering all I have on it is a singly 48" current satellite, but today I placed my order for a 60" buildmyLED XB series 6300k with dimmer and tank mounts. Hoping this will be the only light I ever buy for this tank, I love the satellite and its perfect for viewing, but I miss the pearling plants. Both lights together seem like they should fit my needs perfectly. Now to try and pick out some interesting, underused, and unique plants. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404264438.799722.jpg
Edit: oh yeah, I through in a rock for all you hard scape people out there haha enjoy!

Love the new tank! It's so big your angels look tiny in there. What about a school of one of the larger rainbowfish species? I really have no idea how close you are on stock levels, but I do like big rainbows. : )

I'm really interested to see how it looks all grown in!

Oh nice, a BML XB series! Now we're talking serious growth potential. Hope you have the CO2 and glut ready! BTW, what beam angle did you get?

Thank you everyone!
Yes I am prepared for growth demands, co2 is already running but at a small amount and I've got plenty of metricide on hand. It I had gotten the original series I was going to get the 70 degree beam angle but since I went XB I kept the 90 degrees. If it's not okay i think I have 30 days to return the light but I'm guessing it'll be fine.

My angels do look small! I felt awful for cramming everyone in a 40b for so long, but life doesn't usually let you do exactly what you want. I'm not sure what my stocking level is, I know when the clowns get a few more years on them they will take a lot of the space but for now I'm guessing I'm pretty lightly stocked.
3 angels
5 clown loaches
2 angelicus
2 botia striata
2 kuhli
16 glowlight/black neons
5 ottos
2 platys
1 large female swordtail/platy hybrid

Glad you went with 90°, the 75° beam is too focused, but fits my application. And yeah, have the glut ready. 150% daily doses barely keep the algae in check, but lordy lord do the plants love that light.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got the 90 degree beam angle for my bml xb too. More important to have full tank coverage than 120 PAR in center zone. If spill light is an issue just use the light stand to tilt aim the beam 5 degrees towards the back of the tank, and you still have high light everywhere.

Why didn't you get the 72" led? Isn't your tank 72" long?

Glad to hear I went the right route.

Nope, 60" for me, I'm not a fan of the 6' tanks, I got a marineland 120g. 60"x 18x26. Love this shape, gives the angels and plants hight, gives the loaches length and capacity, and doesn't take up more space than it needs to. Also, 60" lights are way less expensive, maybe not the BML, but all the other brands it seemed like it was a HUGE jump in price going from 60 to 72

Back
Top Bottom