Free: Apple snails free to good home local pick up only.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traceyrollin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been the unfortunately lucky parent of approximately 150 baby apple snails. The breeding pair will soon be separated into different tanks. The make adult is a white pearl shell, the female adult is a common purple stripe. While most of the babies are still just grey and have not really started showing what colors they will grow to be, I have found only 2 possible white pearls out of two clutches that have hatched. They are no more than one month oldest ones, youngest ones about two weeks old at the time I post this ad. I am simply hoping to find some fellow apple snail lovers here in and around Columbia,TN that can and will provide at least a few of these babies a great home with a long life. These snails get rather large, the parents are about golf ball size currently and still growing. The babies are ranging in size from pencil eraser to the smallest about seed bead size. Please send me a message if interested, as once this ad expires they will most likely be sold to my local pet store. I know the owner and they are great people so I know they will get great care there. But try feeding 150+ baby snails... its not easy. So please hurry and get your choice of snails. I may actually keep one of the white pearls, depends on how many I can get homes for. We shall see. I am willing to meet you half way if you live far away, or within a two or three hour drive. I cannot ship them as I would have to get permits and some states don't allow these to be shipped in. So these guys are up for free! Thank you for reading, hope to hear from anyone wanting free baby apple snails!20170118_235655.jpg20170118_003040.jpg

The proud parents. The male eats an algae tablet, as the female takes a much needed rest.20170119_011219.jpg20170119_011236.jpg

Baby snail count Is now over 200 and still finding new egg clutches every two weeks. Working hard to get my 30g tank up and running so I can provide more room for them until they are big enough for the fish store. But anyone at anytime who would like a baby apple snail please let me know... it's hard to keep their tank cleaned and then all fed.

Baby snail count Is now over 200 and still finding new egg clutches every two weeks. Working hard to get my 30g tank up and running so I can provide more room for them until they are big enough for the fish store. But anyone at anytime who would like a baby apple snail please let me know... it's hard to keep their tank cleaned and then all fed.
Have you had any trouble with them eating the plants?

Have you had any trouble with them eating the plants?
Not at all... at least so far... I ended up moving the big mail snail away from the adult female so they'd stop breeding and even he doesn't eat the plants. They will however eat any dead leaves that they find. So I rarely have to groom the plants... which is a good thing imo. But I only have wisteria and java lace and I think a dwarf anubias in the tank they are in. Those from what I understand are just not all that appetizing to snails. The adults at one time liked the wisteria, but only while the plant was young. Now that it's grown in pretty good it doesn't get munched on very much.

Wait... I also have a dwarf Amazon sword in that tank too. But it's untouched, they don't even crawl on it. But any leaves that are shed will be devoured swiftly.

I'll post a picture of the tank so you can see the plants and the snails...
eeb8fe9e0aae40e188ec9619600f7368.jpg

Some of the babies from the first clutch are reaching about large pearl size, and their colors are starting to develop. Some are stripes, some are marbled, some are a nice purple... it's wierd... But cool.

And feeding time is just nuts...
92eeca79e3c185aadc0790042b02e316.jpg
You have a really nice setup I would like to get some snails from you but I'm a bit worried about the plants, I have various Amazon swords (no problem there), pygmy chain sword, micro sword, anacharis, bacopa autralis (a little worried there), golden nesaea (same here) and a Madagascar lace plant which I wouldn't want anything to happen to it, and would want to give the snails back or give them to a pet store, one other thing what do you feed them?
Some of the babies from the first clutch are reaching about large pearl size, and their colors are starting to develop. Some are stripes, some are marbled, some are a nice purple... it's wierd... But cool.

I used to have a whole lot of blue ramhorn snails but I guess the gene pool decayed after a while and they simply stoped breeding, I really like your lace java, is it the same as windelov?

I just over feed the betta a little and I drop sinking algae wafers and shrimp and lobster pellets (food for shrimps and lobsters) it takes about 20 wafers and 20 pellets and some food the betta misses to feed them all.

I just over feed the betta a little and I drop sinking algae wafers and shrimp and lobster pellets (food for shrimps and lobsters) it takes about 20 wafers and 20 pellets and some food the betta misses to feed them all.
Do you do daily water changes to control the bioload? Seems like lots of work

I used to have a whole lot of blue ramhorn snails but I guess the gene pool decayed after a while and they simply stoped breeding, I really like your lace java, is it the same as windelov?
Thank you... as far as windelov being similar to lace java I have no idea. I just but the plants I like and put them in the tank. I tried bacopa but failed miserably. Oh well. We should work out details for picking up snails... depending on tank size and knowing these snails get rather large I would only recommend getting 2 to 3 per tank if you have say a 20g. Eventually they will reach breeding age and well..unfortunately they are too small to sex right now. Otherwise I recommend getting only females. Males will fight oddly enough. But... if you have to give them to a pet store at some point that's understandable. I almost have these guys up months ago. The adults are able to uproot any plants that are not tied down. I just use plastic canvas to secure roots under the substrate.

Thank you... as far as windelov being similar to lace java I have no idea. I just but the plants I like and put them in the tank. I tried bacopa but failed miserably. Oh well. We should work out details for picking up snails... depending on tank size and knowing these snails get rather large I would only recommend getting 2 to 3 per tank if you have say a 20g. Eventually they will reach breeding age and well..unfortunately they are too small to sex right now. Otherwise I recommend getting only females. Males will fight oddly enough. But... if you have to give them to a pet store at some point that's understandable. I almost have these guys up months ago. The adults are able to uproot any plants that are not tied down. I just use plastic canvas to secure roots under the substrate.
Does this Saturday work for you? If so at what time? And will only take 3 of them

Do you do daily water changes to control the bioload? Seems like lots of work
I do twice a week right now. They seem fine... I lost my ghost shrimp to the snails but I think it was because killer kept nipping them to keep them off his snails. He thinks the snails are his pets or something. Lol oh well ghost shrimp are cheap

Does this Saturday work for you? If so at what time? And will only take 3 of them
I work Saturdays but I can do evening meet up thing. I usually get off work around 6ish. Where would you like to meet?

I work Saturdays but I can do evening meet up thing. I usually get off work around 6ish. Where would you like to meet?
That's up to you I live in inver grove heights, but anywhere you'd like to meet is fine with me

Back
Top Bottom