Wanted: Black sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hate gravel but I currently have my Betta in a 10g with black gravel. I want black sand but the store closes to me have really horrid quality sand. Anybody have some for buy/trade.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

How is the sand by you horrid? It may just need cleaning. If that's not the case, what is bad about it?

If you have a sand blasting supply store near you, often they are willing to help you select a color and size of sand that will work for you. I got Garnet sand and since they use these for sand blasting they are generally cleaner than other options. There is coal slag as a black sand too, I have heard it is sharp and I have heard others use it with Cories so I haven't used it and personally and couldn't say.

The Garnet sand is purple pink and was $17 for 40 or 50 pounds. Also pay attention to grit size less easily sucked into filter, a pre filter sponge like from fluval for the Edge tanks work great and run around $3-4 help. Turning off the filter is good too when working on the tank. Just remember to turn it back on again!

60074-albums9763-picture65860.jpg

A lot of the Petco stuff is a painted resin. Not sharp but also doesn't behave like sand. Pretty sure all petcos have at least one true sand though? Maybe try to order it from them or petsmart online with a coupon and free shipping and stuff.

From a member here the shipping would cost more than the sand probably.

I love the Carib sea substrates too. I have the black and the white sand.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

That's awesome!! Looks good! Nice decoration!!

What size tank and what kind of fish will live in there??

It's a 10g and it currently houses my Betta fish, Burnie :D gonna start planting the tank next week!

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom