Forktail/Fanged Blenny - Meiacanthus atrodorsalis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick Stats: Forktail Blenny

-Family: Blenniidae
-Range: Indo-Pacific
-Size: Up to 5 inches
-Diet: Omnivore
-Tank Set-up: Marine: Coral or rock, plants (excellent reef fish!)
-Reef Compatible: Yes
-Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
-Minimum Tank Capacity: 30 gallon
-Lighting: Medium
-Temperament: Semi-aggressive
-Venomous: Yes
-Swimming Level: Bottom
-Care Level: Moderate
-Reproduction: Egg Layer

The Forktail Blenny, also known as the Lyretail Fang Blenny or Yellowtail Fang Blenny, has a caudal fin that resembles a fork, with two long exterior spines and five much shorter middle spines. The body is a pale blue that runs like watercolor into a bluish-yellow at the tail. Males are generally larger than females and experience a succession of color changes when breeding.

The Forktail Blenny needs a minimum tank of 30 gallons with live rock for hunting and grazing. It is best to keep only one per tank unless a breeding pair is maintained. The Forktail Blenny is considered venomous and should be kept only with caution around children having tank access, since it may perceive fingers as an attacker and deliver a similarly painful bite.

The diet should consist of finely chopped crustacean flesh, mysid and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, as well as frozen herbivore preparations.

Here's my forktail blenny. Awesone fish and its never tried to bite me.
img_2672634_0_b77672720c63d468b9c16cd9c659a0eb.jpg
img_2672634_1_3da52fa41adda5719b3c43a8dae4bdb1.jpg

A nice pic of one found online.
img_2672634_2_a7b276e37ad4cc20e3df51a76937c7a2.jpg

He is cool and pretty cheap as far a a marine fish goes. I just noticed there wasnt a thread on these guys and should be. I never feed with flake food, just frozen unless its cyclopeeze and he loves it. Also there is alot of fish that mimic this one for protection such as the popular bicolor blenny and the $120+ red sea mimic blenny.

He's so handsome! Definitely love blennies. Our bicolor is the family favorite.

Can't mix or have 2 blennies, right?

Ive heard of it. Guess it depends on the tank size and what kind of blenny. What size tank do you have?

I have a 75 gallon tank with about 150 lbs live rock. Lots of hidey holes!

It could work but im no expert. It would def. straighten out your bicolor blenny if he messed with him. Personally I wouldnt try it. There are plenty of other fish in the sea. Heres a paragraph from LiveAquaria:

The Forktail Blenny needs a minimum tank of 30 gallons with live rock for hunting and grazing. It is best to keep only one per tank unless a breeding pair is maintained. The Forktail Blenny is considered venomous and should be kept only with caution around children having tank access since it may perceive fingers as an attacker and deliver a similarly painful bite.

I have a bicolor and lawnmower blenny in a 150, only time there is an issue is if someone goes near the bicolor's little cave, including me lol. Other than that, they are fine. I think it really depends on the fish themselves, I've had more than one work fine, and fail both. Don't think it should be tried in smaller tanks though.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom