is it or is'nt it reef safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
i'm getting conflicting info on the humu humu trigger

img_3053183_0_f3185d63eb9631a74c26df9fe92f3831.png

first in the stats it says no it's not reef safe

img_3053183_1_059ec333596e2b53d843928c33e5bb43.png

than when i read the description it claims it's absolutely reef safe so which is it ,
my wife loves the markings on the humu humu

img_3053183_2_f894bdfd9b3abaa27346e3aa31aab379.png

i was looking at the blue throat trigger till my wife saw the humu humu and fell in love with it
the stats are conflicting to the description on the humu humu and misleading info isn't going to help me decide if it would work in my tank or not

I believe they're considered to not be reef safe because they feed on shelled inverts, and possibly smaller reef fish (I've heard mixed stories of them nipping at stony corals as well, but dont think that's typical), but if you don't mind replenishing your snails and crabs periodically I doubt you'd have a problem with the corals. Just a guess though, as I've never personally owned one.

Yeah, they are "reef safe" in regards to corals, worms, etc., but put them in with any type of crustacean, small fish or urchins and it is snack time.

ive checked 3 other sites and get the same contradicting info
if its only snails and hermits that i need to worry about i can deal with that as i replenish them every 3 months any way , as for small fish nothing under 2 inch , i also planed starting with a small humu 1 to 2 inch so he would grow as the others grew
ill wait till i get a few more inputs on them
i myself liked the blue throat but wife likes the humu and you know got to keep her happy

A Huma-Huma or similarly shaped trigger will go straight for the urchin as it one of their preferred foods. You can tell a bit about the different types of things different triggers eat by the placement of the eyes and mouth shape.
Humas and the other diamond shaped triggers feed mainly on crustaceans and urchins and that is why the eyes are set farther back and the mouth almost comes to a point. It is so they can get in past the spines/claws to bite without jeopardizing their eyes that much.

With urchins they will blast a jet of water at them or pick them up by a spine to try and flip them over, once flipped over it's an uni snack for the trigger. :yum:

I have one and he is one of my favorite fish he ignores my blue devil damsel (he's a bully ) hermit crabs or coral are all fine

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have one and he is one of my favorite fish he ignores my blue devil damsel (he's a bully ) hermit crabs or coral are all fine

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wait until he is two or three times bigger than the damsel and hermits are pretty well defended and most triggers don't eat coral.
Put a shrimp or emerald crab in there and I'm sure it would be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom