New member/SW Fish tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jzepeda02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

So I went out and bought me a SW fish tank, (my daughter is in LOVE with Dory). The gentlemen at my LFS suggested I get a small tank since I'm a beginner, I ended up with:

Nano Cube 24Gallon with its own Filtering system
About 10lbs of Live rock
Bag of live sand
Heater
No fish

So last night I set up my tank following the instructions the guys gave me at the shop. This morning I noticed some of my rocks had a brown layer on them. After reading some posts i learned that it's part of the cycling.

So I guess I will just wait to see how it turns out. (Patience)IMG_0330.jpg

Hello everyone,

So I went out and bought me a SW fish tank, (my daughter is in LOVE with Dory). The gentlemen at my LFS suggested I get a small tank since I'm a beginner, I ended up with:

Nano Cube 24Gallon with its own Filtering system
About 10lbs of Live rock
Bag of live sand
Heater
No fish

So last night I set up my tank following the instructions the guys gave me at the shop. This morning I noticed some of my rocks had a brown layer on them. After reading some posts i learned that it's part of the cycling.

So I guess I will just wait to see how it turns out. (Patience)

IMG_0329.jpg
Here are some pics of my set up.

it's called cayno it is a phase all new tanks go through , never heard of it appearing on the first day usually takes about a week or so to kick in . what type of water are you using tap or RO/DI

it's called cayno it is a phase all new tanks go through , never heard of it appearing on the first day usually takes about a week or so to kick in . what type of water are you using tap or RO/DI

The gentlemen at the Shop gave me about 20gallons of saltwater (I guess from a tank that was already being used) and (2) 5gallon RO/DI, so I used the 20 gallons then added 4gallons from the RO/DI, also the rock he gave me was Live from the same tank they got the 20gallons of SW from

You know Dory can't fit in that tank right? Have you added an ammonia source yet?

You know Dory can't fit in that tank right? Have you added an ammonia source yet?

Yeah, my daughter is getting clown fish instead jajaja. Might buy a small Dory and once I buy my bigger tank I can mover her there. No ammonia source yet, any tips?

I'd get a raw shrimp from the seafood section of the grocery store, put it in a nylon bag and let it decay for a day.
I really wouldn't do a hippo tang. Not only is it 24 gallons but a cube which has even less horizontal space for swimming. Plus they are super prone to ich. Just wait until you get a bigger tank and then get one.

I'd get a raw shrimp from the seafood section of the grocery store, put it in a nylon bag and let it decay for a day.
I really wouldn't do a hippo tang. Not only is it 24 gallons but a cube which has even less horizontal space for swimming. Plus they are super prone to ich. Just wait until you get a bigger tank and then get one.

Got it! Thank you for your response! Will take care of that asap

Do you have test kits? Definitely want to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. If you don't I'm sure you could take samples to the lfs for them to test

Do you have test kits? Definitely want to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. If you don't I'm sure you could take samples to the lfs for them to test

I'm actually on my way to buy the test kits. I also brought a sample to the LFS so they can guide me..

Originally Posted by bribo12 You know Dory can't fit in that tank right? Have you added an ammonia source yet?

Yeah, my daughter is getting clown fish instead jajaja. Might buy a small Dory and once I buy my bigger tank I can mover her there. No ammonia source yet, any tips?

even a small dory wont work in that tank they are prone to ick and with a tank that size it is almost guaranteed

Back
Top Bottom