Rare many banded morray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idol1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a baby many banded moray. I'm going to use MBM for its name. I'm going to say we caught it since it took four people,placeing nets around a lava rock where this toothpick size MBM was laying. Lucky we convinced it to go into one net.

This moray was the size and thickness of a round toothpick. The head was really tiny. Never had or even saw a moray this small before. A lot of perfect white and blk. bands. I knew this was not a common banded moray since they are common and the head and bands are different.

The head is the same shape as the dragon moray. The teeth are flat like the zebra. It has two small protrusions out of its nose like the dragon but no horns. I have had him about 4 months now. Its 4 in long and 1/2 in wide has a small elongated dragon moray head. Its diet baby crushed crabs , scallop,squid,shrimp and crushed smelts.

Now I have the chance to observe this moray and grow it up. There is hardly any info on this moray. hardly ever offered for sale. I do not believe this is a rare moray,just one that is hardly ever seen. Even in my tank its hard to get a glimpse of him. He stays in his rock formation.

At night when he does decide to come out he will only climbs around his rock formation never venturing from it. He has a relation ship with hermit crabs. When the tank is fed they pick up food and congregate in front of his cave and he takes food from them. This moray shows no interest in his tank mates. A baby Pecula,baby maroon,tiny bright eye damsel,tiny zebra blenny and baby coral banded shrimp.

So far totally non-aggressive. The baby fish are always on and in his rock. I want to see how his temperament is as he grows. Eye sight extremely poor,smell excellent. Growth rate getting faster,feeding easy,water changes weekly,water-flow fast. Fish compatible so far, time will tell.

Seems very docile for a moray. My second favorite fish even though People shy even with me I only get a glimpse during feeding time. Morish Idol my first favorite. This moray is not worth the money they would charge for it if available. Why buy some thing you will hardly ever see. I don't think the secret nature of this moray will ever change. I think this moray will stay hidden on the reef with only a very rare encounter. people shy even with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an interesting fish. Very attached to his surroundings and to the rocks he calls home. Any pics of this little guy? Great story behind him/her

have been trying to get a picture of him since I got him. Once there set up I never Disturb there surroundings. Only when it is absolutely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom