Yellow Tang: Zebrasoma Flavencens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Zebrasoma Flavescens (Yellow Tang)

Yellow Tang: Zebrasoma Flavescens

This is a profile for the saltwater fish Zebrasoma Flavescens (Yellow Tang). If you see any information that you believe to be inaccurate, let me know. Questions are welcome too.

The Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma Flavescens) is a beautiful Tang specimen that is very popular in the saltwater aquarium hobby. They can be found in almost any pet store, and if they are not spotted, they can be easily ordered. This particular Tang is normally imported from the warm waters of Hawaii, and is a highly sought-after fish. This Tang has an average price of about $40.00. I wouldn't consider this fish as a difficult species to keep, in fact, I would consider this species hardy. As with other Tangs, it is susceptible to disease, but it is more disease resistant that say the Blue Hippo Tang, which some consider a "disease magnet." When selecting a fish, make sure the specimen doesn't have a pinched stomach. These occur due to malnutrition and the issue sometimes cannot be fixed.

The minimum tank size for this fish is a 125 gallon six foot long tank, because they are very active. Some say that a four foot long 90 gallon aquarium will work, but to be on the safe side, I would recommend the 35 gallon larger alternative and get the 125 gallon.

Yellow Tangs are mostly herbivores, but will also chomp on meaty fare. This Yellow Tang will greedily take dried algae sheets (nori), which can be secured to a clip and put in the tank. This species will aid the aquarist with unwanted micro algae, and will constantly graze on your rock.

I would consider this Tang to be peaceful to semi-aggressive with most other fish, but sometimes aggressive to their Tang tankmates, especially Tangs with the same color, and/or shape or family. If you want to add more than two Tangs to your aquarium, it is recommended that you add them at the same time if possible.

This species is reef safe, and will not harm any corals or other invertebrates. As a matter of fact, I would consider this species to be a great addition to a reef tank especially if you have strong lights (i. e. metal halides) on for a good amount of the day. The Yellow Tang will aid with dreaded micro algae.

As for acclimation, there are two methods that many people use, I will begin with my favorite method.
1. Drip Acclimation:
I consider drip acclimation the best way to acclimate a specimen. It is the most gradual way to get your tang used to the parameters of you aquarium's water.
Here are some materials you will need:
1. Drip kit (Proper Handling of Aquarium Fish: New Fish Acclimation Kit) or some airline tubing and a drip valve.
2. A bucket/container used for fish-only purposes.
How to perform the acclimation:
1. Float the specimen in your aquarium for approximately fifteen to twenty minutes.
2. Pour the specimen and the dealer's water into the bucket or container. If there isn't enough water for the Yellow Tang to be submerged, try tilting the bucket container to a different angle, propping the bucket/container up with some material (i. e. a thick book).
3. Begin the drip. You can begin the drip by sucking on the end, but keep in mind that you could possibly get sick from doing so.
4. Make sure the drip rate is about two to three drops per second.
5. After two to three hours, pour as much water out as possible, and introduce your specimen into it's new home. *
*= If the bucket or container has filled up, you may remove approximately half of it.
Here is how you can perform the second way of acclimation, that tends to work well also.
Materials: A cup.
1. Float the specimen in your aquarium for about fifteen to twenty minutes
2. Add some aquarium water over the course of every ten to twenty minutes for however long you feel is necessary. (Minimum; 3-4 times, even better; 4-5 times.)
During both forms of acclimation be sure to keep the aquarium lights off to reduce unneeded stress on the fish.

To conclude, the Yellow Tang is a beautiful species that is well suited to captivity. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and feel free to ask any questions or give feedback. :)

Last edited:
Spelling mistake fixed on "flavescens". Thanks Tropical Fish Magazine. LOL

Last edited:
Hi my yellow tang that I've had for over two years has never looked healthy. I got him from a friend and didn't know what to look for. I am hoping you can help. He looks like he has malnutrition. I feed him 3 times a day with spirulina algae flakes and formula 1 flakes and formula 2 pellets. I also clip algae once a day on both sides of my tank it's a 125. I also feed bloodworms and brine shrimp along with veggie frozen foods(not all at once). I give him mostly green algae but also give purple. He also has red lines throughout his body I have treated him for bacterial infections and parasites, with no change. My levels are good ammo and trites are 0. Nitrates are 10. I put in vitamins and minerals. I have even started using garlic to soak his food. He also lost quite a bit of his fins from a blenny. I removed the blenny as soon as I saw him do it. That was over a year ago and they've never grown back. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'll do anything to help him. Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

P.s. The tank was cycled for months before I got him.

Hi, sorry for taking so lang to respond. I think I know what you are talking about with the malnutrition. Does his stomach looked pinched in to you? I read somewhere that sometimes that is permanent and won't go away. Just make sure he gets more veggie matter than meat, as they are herbivores. :)

Thank you for the response and I feed mainly veggies to him. And he does look pinched but I've been feeding him more and soaking his food and doing more water changes. Fingers crossed it helps

Back
Top Bottom