10 gallon filter, cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HokieProf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently set up a 10 gallon tank. I've got 7 male guppies and 2 tiny bumblebee platys, and a mystery snail. I'm using a sponge-only filter with a spray bar. No real plants.

It's a new tank, but I think it was cycled before I added the fish. I moved over all the gravel and the filter media from my 5 gallon tank and used Seachem Stability for a week. Then, I started adding fish.

I've been gone for a few days and my husband has been handling the tank. I've noticed that my water looks cloudy. It's only been 4 days since I did a 20% water change. I just tested my water, and everything (Ph, Nitrate, Nitrite, ammonia were tested) looks normal. Is it possible that my issue is merely that I need a better filter? I'd so, are there any specific things that I should look for in a filter for this type of tank? These guys don't seem to like a heavy filter water flow.

Also, I'm assuming that I should do a 10 percent water change just to clear the water?

50% daily water changes for a week and see what the water does. You may need some polishing media to clean up the water if it isn't a bacterial bloom.

Something like a Tetra Whisper 10 filter or similar HOB should help clear up the water.

Back
Top Bottom