Bloodfin Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted By: adadkins1

Common Names: Bloodfin Tetra, Glass Bloodfin
Scientific Name:Aphyocharax anisitsi
Category: Tetra
Family: Characidae
Origin: Argentina
Maximum Size: 2.2 inches
Ecosystem: Rivers
Salinity: Freshwater
Temperment: Often peaceful, but there have been some reports of aggression and fin nipping.
Diet: Omnivore
Temperature: 70*F - 82*F
pH Range: 6.0 - 8.0
Hardness: 2-30
Sexing: Males have hooks on their anal fin, are more colorful, and more slender with females being plumper.
Lifespan: 7+ years
Minimum Tank Size: A school of Bloodfins requires a 20g tank
Strata: Middle to lower
Tankmates: Other peaceful fish that are not big enough to eat them. Some examples: Corydoras, Other Tetras, Rasboras, Danios, Gouramis, etc.

Acclimation: Acclimating Bloodfins is fairly simple. The float and add water method will work. First, float the bag in the aquarium for 20-30 minutes so the fish can adjust to the temperature. Then add about a cup of water every 10 minutes for the next 30 minutes. This allows the fish to adjust to the chemical properties of your water.

Care: Bloodfin tetras are probably just about the hardiest tetra species. They are not fussy about water parameters such as pH, hardness, etc. like other tetras. This makes them an excellent fish for novice aquariusts. Just keep them in a proper sized school with peaceful tankmates so you can thoroughly enjoy their social behavior.

Feeding: As with their care, feeding Bloodfins is extremely easy. They will accept a wide variety of food including: Flakes, Bloodworms, Mosquito Larvae, and many others.

Breeding: Bloodfin Tetra Breeding

Comments: Bloodfin Tetras are an exceptional tetra. I currently have 7 in my 20g tall (24 inches) aquarium. They are kept with a Dwarf Gourami, a school of Glowlight Tetras, Kuhli Loaches, a Bristlenose Pleco, and Ghost Shrimp. I have never had any problems with fin-nipping. There was a little aggression when I first introduced them into my aquarium as they established a hierarchy. They are very social and are almost constantly schooling. Sometimes one will venture off to explore, but they often return quickly. Overall, they are just an awesome fish.

Sources:
Mongabay
Aquatic Community

I would definately say 6 would be a bare minimum, and I mean bare. These guys are extremely social, almost constanly schooling. That is why I love them so much! I would say a good number would be 8 or so.

Back
Top Bottom