Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Fish or Plant Profiles
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Chinese Algae Eater by BearFan

[center:62b4f646c1]Chinese Algae Eater[/center:62b4f646c1]

Submitted by BearFan

Scientific Name: Gyrinocheilus Aymonieri

Common Names: Chinese Algae Eater, Indian Algae Eater, and Sucking Loach

Region: Thailand and India

Maximum Size: 11 (27cm)

PH Range: 6.0-7.5

Hardness: 2-12dh

Temperature: 73-82F (23-28C)

Environment: Planted tanks as juveniles with hiding places and bogwood.

Feeding Habits: Some Green Algae (but will outgrow this), flake, blood worms, veggies

Distinguishing Sex: None Known

Behavior: Territorial and Aggressive

Breeding: Darn near impossible. I have never heard of anyone breeding them.

Lifespan: 10 years plus

The Chinese Algae Eater is not in fact from China; leave it to the English-speaking world to ignore geography. These are great handlers of green algae (but only green algae) as juveniles and has sparked their popularity. This comes at a price. As the CAEs age they ignore the algae and focus on the provided food and become very aggressive. The CAE got its nickname as the sucking loach as the adult CAE will often attach itself to other fish in the aquarium, especially flat slower fish, taking large chunks out of the host.

If you decided CAEs are good for your tank, you need to be prepared for their adult characteristics. They will chase of any fish they believe to be in their territory and become very large (up to 11).

Discerning the CAE from the SAE is easy. CAEs have a large carp-like sucker mouth. The stripe that runs from mouth to the start of the tail looks like a line that connects several dots. The tails are often spotted as opposed to the SAEs clear.

My Rankings:
Price: 10
Value: 4
Hardiness: 9
Community: 3
Activeness: 2
Appearance: 5
Overall: 5.5

Sources:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm
http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
http://www.mongabay.com/fish/cyprinds.htm
http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles...eeders/cae.asp
http://www.myfishtank.net/freshwater...php?profile=64
http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishin...h/aeater.shtml

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a CAE and your description is right on my CAE is very aggressive and when my bichir eel is near he tries to suck on his back luckily he has not taken out a chunk (the bichir eel usually snaps back) and he will chase off any of the fish that get near his territory and he doesn’t just suck on glass either he is good at cleaning the rocks on the bottom

Old 09-24-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey, I just bought two small CAE and I think my puffer has eaten the smaller of the two. Maybe though it was a shrimp.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
I absolutley hate these fish. they always kill your favorite fish and do absolutely nothing but annoy you and suck on other fish.

Only get one if its the only type of fish in the tank.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My CAE also has what look like small "horn" on it's head, giving it a real mean look compared to my SAE. Mine is 2.5", and housed with a SAE, blue gourami, angel, dwarf pike cichlid, rosy barbs, red-tail shark. He chases others, but doesn't injure them by sucking ON them (yet). Still spends lots of time cleaning the glas of algae.

www.ErnestJohn.com
workfortheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingonhot View Post
I absolutley hate these fish. they always kill your favorite fish and do absolutely nothing but annoy you and suck on other fish.

Only get one if its the only type of fish in the tank.
I agree. The man who owns a pet store (he takes horrible care of the animals there starving fish, and lizards you can see their bones, dried fish heads on the hoods) he told us they only grew to about an inch and wouldn't bother any fish he killed 2 of my fav. fish lesson learned. Now I go to a different pet store he is very honest and takes good care of the fish and other animals.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #7

What is the recommended tank size for these bad boys?

Just discovered my "oto" is actually a Chinese algae eater and trying to work out how I can keep him (they do have a lot of personality!) without losing any more fish!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

They aren't that bad. I have three that live with angel fish and kissing gouramis. They bother no one and spend most the time hiding
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #9

I used to have one of these guys, the store said he wouldn't become aggressive until he was fully grown... WRONG!! He was extremely aggressive towards every single other thing in our tank so we moved him to a little tank of his own to bring him to a shop that takes in unwanted fish. The next morning he was upside down with his stomach ripped open and blue stuff coming out (assuming those were his guts)... It was sad but he was so mean that he ended up fighting himself to death!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

These fish are evil little blighters. I don't understand why they are being sold when there are so many peaceful varieties of algae eaters that do a much better job of clearing algae. When I go to a new store one of the first things I check is whether they stock CAE. If they do, then I know to take any of their advice with a good pinch of salt.

Tags
algae, algae eater, chi, eat, eater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com