Chinese Algae Eater by BearFan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
[center:62b4f646c1]Chinese Algae Eater[/center:62b4f646c1]

Submitted by BearFan

Scientific Name: Gyrinocheilus Aymonieri

Common Names: Chinese Algae Eater, Indian Algae Eater, and Sucking Loach

Region: Thailand and India

Maximum Size: 11” (27cm)

PH Range: 6.0-7.5

Hardness: 2-12dh

Temperature: 73-82ºF (23-28ºC)

Environment: Planted tanks as juveniles with hiding places and bogwood.

Feeding Habits: Some Green Algae (but will outgrow this), flake, blood worms, veggies

Distinguishing Sex: None Known

Behavior: Territorial and Aggressive

Breeding: Darn near impossible. I have never heard of anyone breeding them.

Lifespan: 10 years plus

The Chinese Algae Eater is not in fact from China; leave it to the English-speaking world to ignore geography. These are great handlers of green algae (but only green algae) as juveniles and has sparked their popularity. This comes at a price. As the CAEs age they ignore the algae and focus on the provided food and become very aggressive. The CAE got it’s nickname as the sucking loach as the adult CAE will often attach itself to other fish in the aquarium, especially flat slower fish, taking large chunks out of the host.

If you decided CAEs are good for your tank, you need to be prepared for their adult characteristics. They will chase of any fish they believe to be in their territory and become very large (up to 11”).

Discerning the CAE from the SAE is easy. CAEs have a large carp-like sucker mouth. The stripe that runs from mouth to the start of the tail looks like a line that connects several dots. The tails are often spotted as opposed to the SAEs clear.

My Rankings:
Price: 10
Value: 4
Hardiness: 9
Community: 3
Activeness: 2
Appearance: 5
Overall: 5.5

Sources:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm
http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
http://www.mongabay.com/fish/cyprinds.htm
http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/fw/bottomfeeders/cae.asp
http://www.myfishtank.net/freshwaterprofiles.php?profile=64
http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/fresh/aeater.shtml

I have a CAE and your description is right on my CAE is very aggressive and when my bichir eel is near he tries to suck on his back luckily he has not taken out a chunk (the bichir eel usually snaps back) and he will chase off any of the fish that get near his territory and he doesn’t just suck on glass either he is good at cleaning the rocks on the bottom

Hey, I just bought two small CAE and I think my puffer has eaten the smaller of the two. Maybe though it was a shrimp.

I absolutley hate these fish. they always kill your favorite fish and do absolutely nothing but annoy you and suck on other fish.

Only get one if its the only type of fish in the tank.

My CAE also has what look like small "horn" on it's head, giving it a real mean look compared to my SAE. Mine is 2.5", and housed with a SAE, blue gourami, angel, dwarf pike cichlid, rosy barbs, red-tail shark. He chases others, but doesn't injure them by sucking ON them (yet). Still spends lots of time cleaning the glas of algae.

I absolutley hate these fish. they always kill your favorite fish and do absolutely nothing but annoy you and suck on other fish.

Only get one if its the only type of fish in the tank.

I agree. The man who owns a pet store (he takes horrible care of the animals there starving fish, and lizards you can see their bones, dried fish heads on the hoods) he told us they only grew to about an inch and wouldn't bother any fish he killed 2 of my fav. fish lesson learned. Now I go to a different pet store he is very honest and takes good care of the fish and other animals.

What is the recommended tank size for these bad boys?

Just discovered my "oto" is actually a Chinese algae eater and trying to work out how I can keep him (they do have a lot of personality!) without losing any more fish!

They aren't that bad. I have three that live with angel fish and kissing gouramis. They bother no one and spend most the time hiding

I used to have one of these guys, the store said he wouldn't become aggressive until he was fully grown... WRONG!! He was extremely aggressive towards every single other thing in our tank so we moved him to a little tank of his own to bring him to a shop that takes in unwanted fish. The next morning he was upside down with his stomach ripped open and blue stuff coming out (assuming those were his guts)... It was sad but he was so mean that he ended up fighting himself to death!

These fish are evil little blighters. I don't understand why they are being sold when there are so many peaceful varieties of algae eaters that do a much better job of clearing algae. When I go to a new store one of the first things I check is whether they stock CAE. If they do, then I know to take any of their advice with a good pinch of salt.

They aren't that bad. I have three that live with angel fish and kissing gouramis. They bother no one and spend most the time hiding
Please post pictures. Have never heard of a good experience when housed with other fish. Once I was given two as a gift and in a week I had 12 dead fish. I separated them and they killed each other.

The best way to tell between a CAE and an oto is that the CAE has a horizontal line along its entire body just like the oto, BUT has tiny vertical lines all along that stripe. The oto does not have that. Oto cats seem more short and fat and CAE are more long and slim. You can also tell by the fins the Otos dorsal fin curve up then goes straight down and the CAE dorsal fin curves up then down and then curves down... I'll try to post pics to compare the two. Brb

The CAE and oto car

Attachments

• image-225241130.jpg
    image-225241130.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 378
  • image-1741962972.jpg
    image-1741962972.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 355
I have a CAE in my 10 gallon tank. I have 3 GloFish danios, 3 GloFish tetras and one regular white tetra. My CAE, doesn't seem to bother anyone but the regular tetra, it's probably because the regular tetra is a bully and picks on my CAE. My CAE tries to chase him, but have not yet seen him suck on or noticed any unusual marks on any oft
Fish.
Recently I've noticed my CAE, has been hiding in the gravel under one of the decorations. He built like a little cave, is this normal?

I have a CAE in my 10 gallon tank. I have 3 GloFish danios, 3 GloFish tetras and one regular white tetra. My CAE, doesn't seem to bother anyone but the regular tetra, it's probably because the regular tetra is a bully and picks on my CAE. My CAE tries to chase him, but have not yet seen him suck on or noticed any unusual marks on any oft
Fish.
Recently I've noticed my CAE, has been hiding in the gravel under one of the decorations. He built like a little cave, is this normal?

Mine does the same thing-he buries in the gravel and creates little caves.

I've had one of these for 9 months now. He's in a tank with platies and and some guppies that breed all the time. I've never had a single problem with my CAE being aggressive to anyone.

I have three, show no signs of aggression towards other tankmates. 2-blue gourami 3-giant danios 3-black fin tetra 1- striped raphael

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1474477911289.jpg
    1474477911289.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 147
Back
Top Bottom