Common Plecostomus Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GhillieSniper115 said:
Uuhhhh how old is the Pleco?

I really don't know.. He was really small when I got him and I've had him probably three months

Homedog98 said:
Post an add on craigslist, and dont sell him unless the people have the right sized tank. Also post an add here in the buy/sell forum.

That's not a bad idea ;)

beginnerfoshworld said:
What is the minimum tank size for a hifin spotted pleco?

A hifin spotted Pleco, gets just as big as a common Pleco. So a 75 gallon or larger would be suitable.

Last edited:
Sorry, have to disagree. a 55 is not suitable for a hifin spotted or for a common. You'll need a 75, 100 minimum, though most people on here suggest 125 MINIMUM.

Yes, I apologies I was off on that. Although just a common Pleco in a 55 gallon seems fine.

Not really. It'll survive, but it won't have room to move around. And its bioload will be incredibly large.

In my opinion, the fish needs to be able to turn every which way in a tank. A common pleco gets to 18" and a standard 55 is only like, 12" wide. That's no fun for Mr. Pleco if he can't even turn sideways.

I have had my pleco for about two years now living with an assortment of cichlids and never had a problem with him getting eaten. Here's a pic of him

Attachments

• image-2996939247.jpg
    image-2996939247.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 275
That pleco is gorgeous. Not a common though! Is it a gold nugget?

Not sure hey bought him as a common pleco just assumed he was

If that's a common pleco, then it's the coolest, most different one I've ever seen. Google common pleco and you'll know what I mean... it looks more like a fancy pleco. How big is it and in what size tank?

+1, that's a Gold Nugget.

To be honest, that's what I thought too (obviously, haha) but then I looked online and it seems like the gold nuggets have rounder, more circular polka dots... these markings are different...

Well what's gold nuggets max size cos that guys at about 9 inches

Yeah, you've already surpassed the GN's adult size, so that's probably just a cool-looking common. What size of tank is it in?

Currently in a four foot tank until I move then into an eight footer don't know what gallons cos I'm in oz

Back
Top Bottom