Datnoid - by mike47517

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by: mike47517

The Datnoid

common names: Gold Tiger Datnoid, Siamese Tiger Fish, Finescale Tigerfish, Yellow Tiger Fish, and Black Barred Tiger Fish.

order: Perciformes

family: Coiidae

class: Actinopterygii

Species: Datnioides undecimradiatus

Origin: East Asia

Salinity: fresh and brackish water

Ph: 6.5-7.5

Temperature: 76-82 F

Hardness: 8.0 - 18.0 N

Potential size: Datnoids caan grow to be 2ft long however most reach their max size at about 1ft.

Temperament: Semi-aggressive

Diet: live fish, worms, pellets, crayfish, shrimp, and black worms. Datnoids are carnivores.

Care: a tank that keeps a datnoid should be atleast 100 gallons. Datnoids feel most comfortable in aquarium setups with rocks, driftwood, and hardy plants for them to hide among and use as cover when they are stalking their prey. They also need nice clean water. And do best if water is well filtered. Datnoids are slow growing fish.

Water Region: fresh and brackish waters in Indonesia and Thailand.

Activity: Datnoids are very shy fish and will usually hide when in an aquarium but if you spend some time with your Datnoid it will soon eat right from your hand.

Lifespan: 10 years in captivity.

Sexing & Breeding: I'm sorry I have no experience with sexing or breeding Datnoids, and i can not find any info on breeding or sexing Datnoids online so i cant give you any info on that. sorry.

Comments: Datnoids have a habit of stalking their prey before catching it.

Sources: www.aquaticcommunity.com
www.animal-world.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.aquaticpredators.com
www.monsterfishkeepers.com

GoldTigerDatnoidWFMi_Ap4AAf1.jpg

datnoid feeding on youtube:

YouTube - Datnoid Eating a Goldfish

nice profile :king:

Information is good.

Grammer, you know, capitals where they should be, etc. is not very good. I enjoy reading articles that are well written rather than poorly written. Just a suggestion for your next article.

Like I said though, great information.

Grammer, you know, capitals where they should be, etc. is not very good. I enjoy reading articles that are well written rather than poorly written. Just a suggestion for your next article.

Agreed.

You should have mentioned how they eat, possibly the best fish iv seen feed. These guys suck food into there HUGE mouths like a vaccum and they do appear to have small mouths when not feeding but that just hides what's inside. When they approach threre pray, usually from bellow or behind, they puff out there mouth and suck the food in. Having seen them do this to sum pretty large fish I am in no doubt that these things are awesome, and especially when an adult, at around the foot mark, are so impressive, just don't keep it with anything smaller than two thirds of its own size, well not unless you want to give it an expensive meal.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I MUST HAVE ONE!! now to find out where to get them lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom