Dwarf Gourami Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adadkins1 said:
Yep, I believe a lot of LFS in the UK get stock from different sources than those in the US. It is still sad, because I can't count the number of mysterious deaths that have been reported. Glad you and your friend's Dwarf Gouramis are thriving! :)

Were do your stock come from then? I am not sure were we get ours

I think (not sure) my LFS gets them from Thailand. I've had mine for about 9 months and he has been doing pretty good. However, my brother-in-laws died mysteriously. Unfortunately I am not sure where his LFS gets their stock.

adadkins1 said:
I think (not sure) my LFS gets them from Thailand. I've had mine for about 9 months and he has been doing pretty good. However, my brother-in-laws died mysteriously. Unfortunately I am not sure where his LFS gets their stock.

I have seen a lot of examples of them dieing but never had any problems maybe I'm just lucky :)

Wow! Sounds like I got really lucky with mine. We were just strolling through the Wal-mart fish section (where unlucky fish go to die) and my husband saw the DG and liked him, so I bought him spur of the moment. He has remained healthy and active even while other fish have had their ups and downs. I think I've had him about 5 months. He's so beautiful and is so inquisitive in the tank. He thinks he is another one of the black skirt tetras, and spends a lot of time with them.

His name is His Majesty King Harald, and he definitely is king of the tank!

I'm noticing my Dwarf Gourami, which i got about a month ago, seems to be getting Aggressive towards some of my other fish. He chases my Blue Rams around, as well as my lone platy. He'll also make a dive for one of my Rasboras, but they are way to fast for him to catch.

He dosn't seem to be fighting any of the fish, just chasing them around, and he eventually stops chasing them after a certain point. Has anybody ever had a similar problem like this before? I've heard of DG's being bullied by other fish, but not doing the actual bullying. the only things hes been leaving alone are my Amano shrimp and my BN pleco.

Mine has a little bridge that he sleeps under,that is his bridge. He only chases the others when they go near it. Maybe if he had a little home to defend, he wouldn't chase them around at other times? It's just a guess, I don't know if it would work.

He has decided that the bridge is his territory. :) Mine is they same way with the duckweed I just put in. When any other fish come into "his territory", he will chase them away. What size is your tank? Mine was a bit more aggressive when he was in a 10g, but now that he is in a 20g tall he is a bit calmer.

the thing is that many sites or books don't even mention the D.g. disease, and they write that they're hardy etc. so you go to the lfs thinking youre going to buy a very "easy to care for" fish. That's why im liking this forum. nothing beats first hand experience :)

Yes, it seems as though they used to be hardy, but not any more. Since writing this, I think D.G. disease has just became an answer to all of the mysterious deaths. They can become aggressive, especially if kept in a 10g tank or smaller (which is not recommended). They will also exhibit aggression if the tank is overstocked, as they will not have room to claim their own territory.

adadkins1 said:
Yes, it seems as though they used to be hardy, but not any more. Since writing this, I think D.G. disease has just became an answer to all of the mysterious deaths. They can become aggressive, especially if kept in a 10g tank or smaller (which is not recommended). They will also exhibit aggression if the tank is overstocked, as they will not have room to claim their own territory.

Mine is in a very heavily 46 gallon with only 2 German blue rams and 3 sae

That is really too bad about the health of the stock declining. If ever there was a fascinating and beautiful fish to keep, the DG is it. Mine has the most individual personality. I would be a little sad if any of my fish died, but if it was my DG, I would be down right depressed!

I agree 100%! I love my boy and it will be simply devastating when his time comes. He and my male betta have huge personalities.

I say we should do some experiments and actually find out what is considered the "normal" behavior for these fishies.

Well...mine is very active. If I ever saw him just staying still and doing nothing I would be very worried. He's always guarding his bridge, checking out every single last piece of gravel for left over food, or dashing across the tank to check out some movement that has caught his eye. When I look in the tank he comes over to give me a good stare down!

I will definitely say they are interesting fish. Each one has a different personality; some highly active while others are fairly relaxed. I would have to say the following would be clues to sickness:
Very slow movement
Staying in one corner, and not moving
Laying on its side
Refusal to eat
Any type of sore or ulcer
These are just a few red flags I could think of off the top of my head. I think normal would be active, good appetite, claiming territory, overall healthy appearance.

I have a powder blue dwarf Gourami in my 55 gal planted community. I've had the guy for about 3 to 3.5 months. Lately (about 1 week), I've noticed that he isn't as active in the tank, and just kinda swims really slow. He has been eating but he isn't his normal active self. Also he seems to have some kind of swell, as if he swallowed a bead, but it isn't in his stomach but a bit lower.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, AND what I should do to help my fish?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

After reading through all of these pots, it seems that these powder blues are definitely more susceptible to illness. I've had another prior to this one, that died in a mysterious way. I'm also weary of getting any more of these guys.

Sorry your little guy is slowing down. I would definitely say that the Powder Blues seem to be even more susceptible.

My new gourami is a female powder blue. She is over a year old, and seems great. I hope we don't run into any problems!

Can you open a new post under the unhealthy fish thread & include pictures of your powder blue?

Back
Top Bottom