Elephant nose with tetras an an angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Account

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I have a 29 gallon with 5 rummy nose tetras and an angel. I recently upgraded to a 75 and as soon as it is ready, I will move all the fish from the 29 to the 75. One of the fish I want really bad is the elephant nose. It is so cool and unique. The issue is that it apparently doesn't like to have to compete for food. My tetras and angel both happen to be very quick when food is in the water. So if I get an elephant nose fish in my 75 gallon will it have issues with tetras or my angel? Thanks

First off, I should say that Elephant nose doesn't like to be a solitary fish; they prefer to be in groups of at east 4 or 5.
That being said, have you thought about keeping both tanks, and leaving your tetras and angel in the 29g? The Elephant nose may be happier that way, and won't have to compete.

Hi, I've had my elephant nose for nearly 6yrs and love him! He's in a 70gallon on his own with just amano shrimp.
I had him in with my angel which he ate it's tail so I sadly rehomed the angel. I've tired numerous other fish and his own kind but no luck. He hates company. I've found him challenging to keep but worth it. He's 12inches in length so he's a big boy.
If you are willing to dedicate to this species then get one but I wouldn't put him in with your other fish.
Hope this helps.

First off, I should say that Elephant nose doesn't like to be a solitary fish; they prefer to be in groups of at east 4 or 5.
That being said, have you thought about keeping both tanks, and leaving your tetras and angel in the 29g? The Elephant nose may be happier that way, and won't have to compete.

[emoji51] nope everyone has to go to the 75.

Hi, I've had my elephant nose for nearly 6yrs and love him! He's in a 70gallon on his own with just amano shrimp.
I had him in with my angel which he ate it's tail so I sadly rehomed the angel. I've tired numerous other fish and his own kind but no luck. He hates company. I've found him challenging to keep but worth it. He's 12inches in length so he's a big boy.
If you are willing to dedicate to this species then get one but I wouldn't put him in with your other fish.
Hope this helps.

The angel ate his own tail or the elephant nose did it?

The elephant nose ate the angels tail. Elephant noses are species only tanks. Mine cleared out my community tank so it's just him in my 70.

I spot fed my Elephant Nose with a baster. Helped keep him happy. They are a pretty specialized fish. Everybody throws little ones in community tanks and they either starve or get big and ticked off.

Back
Top Bottom