Endlers Livebearer- Species Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
These unsung heroes of the hobby are truly awesome. They are probably the hardiest fish commonly available in the fishkeeping hobby. They are quite small, and almost never grow over one inch long. Poecilia wingei is quite similar to the common guppy. On to the care! Water quality: With these fish it really doesn't matter. Avoid extremes though. Diet: These fish can live completely on flake food, but a variety is best. Tankmates: Avoid fish that will nip fins and tails, and take caution because endlers can squeeze into almost any mouth size. The fry are almost always eaten. Tank size: Endlers can live in five gallons or more. Temper: These fish are extremely peaceful. Cost: These fish are very, very cheap. I once got 2 net sweeps full for only $20! Reproduction and sexing: Females are bigger and duller than males. Males are more colorful and the anal fin is formed into a rod called a gonopodium. These fish will breed if you leave them alone together. They can cross breed with guppies
th
th

One thing I would add is that they rarely eat their own fry.

Black bar male:

img_3150953_0_550f15d3f4baa53ed2671c88b8747785.jpg

Very pregnant female:

img_3150953_1_768a55964df3537c9c701981922267a3.jpg

Tiger hybrid:

img_3150953_2_371513a40fcda71abd5c5aca450928a9.jpg

Yeah, I meant in a community tank the fry have a low chance of survival. Nice pics. I just sold all mine and my best one died today.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

My endler's are orchids: and they just had over 15 fry!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422931510.362213.jpg

These are Class-N (non-hybrid). They're gorgeous when they mature!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Cool! Nice fish. I didn't know N class meant non hybrid. I had 7 N class and 1 wild endler-tankbred-guppy hybrid. I recently lost him to stress from a water change. My others disappeared mysteriously. I think the others jumped onto the floor and made a treat for my cat.

I sold a ton of mine too after about 4 of 'email disappeared.

Cool! Nice fish. I didn't know N class meant non hybrid. I had 7 N class and 1 wild endler-tankbred-guppy hybrid. I recently lost him to stress from a water change. My others disappeared mysteriously. I think the others jumped onto the floor and made a treat for my cat.

Hey there! That's so sad, but I've had fish commit suicide via cat treat, too.

There are three classes of Endler's.

N: can trace their lineage directly back to their native waters and have only been bred with other N class Endler's. These are documented fish, kinda like a pedigree.

P: any Endler which appears to be non-hybrid and directly descended, but has no documentation to prove it.

K: any Endler which is a hybrid with another livebearer (ex: guppy).

Hope that helps!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Oh, then I probably had 6 P class and 1 K class

They're very good jumpers. Did you keep them with other fish?

Do you also know that there are N-class endlers which will grow up over an inch when it comes to the males? I'd like to add this to this topic as well. For a lot of people think that N-class are always smaller than male fancy guppies. This ain't true! Also most female endlers can grow up to the same size as female guppies. Most female endlers will be pregnant too soon and that makes them smaller than the average female guppy. But if you give such females the chance to grow more by seperating them from the males at a young age, you'll notice how big they can become.

N-class is an abbreviation for Nature-class.

Back
Top Bottom