Filter change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IHaveAquariums

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have a 36 gallon bowfront with 3 angels, 4 Cory's, 5 adult danios, and around 20-30 3 month old danio fry. I have an elite 800 powering an airstone in a large stone decoration and an aqueon 250gph HOB filter. I will be thinning the danios down as it'll be over stocked when they become full grown. I'm also noticing my angels tend to stay on the half of the aquarium without the filter and I'm thinking the flow is too much for them. There isn't a way to turn the flow down so I'm looking into other options. Could I get like 2 dual sponge filters and put one on each side of the tank in place of the HOB? I'd get air pumps rated about 55gph but I'm not sure if this is enough filtration. Thanks!

Filtration

Right now I have a 36 gallon bowfront with 3 angels, 4 Cory's, 5 adult danios, and around 20-30 3 month old danio fry. I have an elite 800 powering an airstone in a large stone decoration and an aqueon 250gph HOB filter. I will be thinning the danios down as it'll be over stocked when they become full grown. I'm also noticing my angels tend to stay on the half of the aquarium without the filter and I'm thinking the flow is too much for them. There isn't a way to turn the flow down so I'm looking into other options. Could I get like 2 dual sponge filters and put one on each side of the tank in place of the HOB? I'd get air pumps rated about 55gph but I'm not sure if this is enough filtration. Thanks!

Hello IH...

Dual sponge filters are the way to go. They're inexpensive, easy to clean, there's no filter media to replace and they do a good job of mixing oxygen into the tank water. I use a couple of dual filters on my 60 G and they work great.

Filters really only aerate the tank water anyway. They do a poor job of cleaning the tank water. They simply take in toxic tank water and return the water a bit less toxic. So, why spend a lot of money on a gizmo that just agitates the water surface?

I do large, weekly water changes on my tanks that require them, so I don't need heavy filtration. I just can't justify the cost.

B

Filtration

Hello again IH...

Huijukon has a good product.

B

Back
Top Bottom