Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Fish or Plant Profiles
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help! Stocking ideas for 70 gal freshwater!

Iíve been into fish keeping for just about a year. The only problem is, Iíve been into bettas so iíve kept smaller separate tanks. Iíve had 2 ten gallons and iíve had 3 five gallons. I recently got an old 70 gallon fish tank! Itís in good condition. Came with a canister filter and iíll buy a good heater. Its set up and i ran it with water to make sure everything working and it is but itís empty. I want to know everything iím gonna do before i try and stock it with fish and plants. I have no clue what fish I want considering thereís so many options. I know 100% I want a community planted tank. I ask that you treat this tank as your own and tell me how you would stock it specifically and what live plants. Please take into account iím fairly new into larger fish tanks and would love as much guidance as possible. I donít want to do anything wrong or inhumane to these fish Any suggestions help! Thank you, xx.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rainbowfish always look nice. I also like angelfish. Or you could skip the community and get an oscar. From what I hear they are like the puppies of the fish world.
If you don't mind keeping less flashy non-fin nippers you can keep a betta in a community tank.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A big Rainbow aquarium is stunning when they mature
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

You may already have done this, but be sure to water-test that tank: fill it and let it sit 48 hours to make sure the seals are still good.

As for stocking, I'd favor a large school of small fish. These can be stunning. Maybe tetras, and then pair them with an apistogramma cichlid pair.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
You may already have done this, but be sure to water-test that tank: fill it and let it sit 48 hours to make sure the seals are still good.

As for stocking, I'd favor a large school of small fish. These can be stunning. Maybe tetras, and then pair them with an apistogramma cichlid pair.

Yep, the water is tested and everything! Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely look into those types of fish

Tags
ate, fresh, freshwater, ideas, stock, stocking, stocking ideas, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com