I would like to get fish and want to know what would be best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2swimmersAlike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank, I was thinking some Betta or Danio fish (maybe both) and I'd need to know stocking levels and such. Maybe a platy? I'd like to see a couple frys in the tank, that'd be pretty cool. (I'm a beginner)

Hello! I'd personally recommend a betta. I belive danios need more swimming room, so they'd wouldn't be suitable for your tank. With platys, it's also best for them to have a larger tank if you intend to breed them, as they are very prolific.
You could always do just a very spoiled betta in a beautifully scaped tank. :)
Other options instead of betta could be a neocaridina shrimp tank or a home for two African dwarf frogs.

I have a Betta and 6 Celestial Pearl Danios in a 30 liter Biorb. The Betta is on the geriatric side an lays in his floating log 80% of the time. So the CPD's own the tank. IMG_1221.jpg

If the Betta had been younger and with an attitude this would never have worked.

If you want livebearers I would consider a group of endlers live bearers in a 10g. They are tiny and colorful Commercial guppies can be difficult to keep and a 10g tank is too small for a platy and much too small for a molly.

Zebra and similiar danios are too active to swimmers to be fully at home in a 10g tank. Instead, consider some celestial pearl danio which are smaller.

A 10g tank is a great home for a single betta but tank mates will be limited.

EDIT: Apparently I spent way too long typing that out and missed all the other responses in the meantime.

I heard Harlequin Rasboras were neat and could fit in my tank, but they are active and might not do well? I also heard Zebra Danios were good for ten gallons but I don't know because most danios wouldnt do well. I'll see if I can attach an image of my tank (it's still a wip but I'd like to know what fish would be good when it's ready.)

IMG_2363.jpg. Here it is, I plan on getting more plants (such as a water wisteria) more decorations and I need a heater. I also have a 35 gallon but it's just the tank I need a heater and filter, plus a stand and I'd like to paint the wood and maybe do a reseal because there's tape on it.

I heard Harlequin Rasboras were neat and could fit in my tank, but they are active and might not do well? I also heard Zebra Danios were good for ten gallons but I don't know because most danios wouldnt do well. I'll see if I can attach an image of my tank (it's still a wip but I'd like to know what fish would be good when it's ready.)

Espei/Hengel Rasboras would be a better option for a 10g. They look almost the same as Harlequins (the black marking is smaller) but don't get as large, topping out around 1.25 inches.

Exclamation Point Rasboras are even smaller at around 1/2-3/4 inches but are also a nice orange color with a black stripe down their side with a dot at the base of their tails (exclamation point!). These little guys tend to school together more often than the other really tiny rasboras I've had, too. If I was setting up a 10g, I'd put a school of these guys in it with your favorite color of cherry shrimp.

Espei/Hengel Rasboras would be a better option for a 10g. They look almost the same as Harlequins (the black marking is smaller) but don't get as large, topping out around 1.25 inches.

Exclamation Point Rasboras are even smaller at around 1/2-3/4 inches but are also a nice orange color with a black stripe down their side with a dot at the base of their tails (exclamation point!). These little guys tend to school together more often than the other really tiny rasboras I've had, too. If I was setting up a 10g, I'd put a school of these guys in it with your favorite color of cherry shrimp.

I heard that harlequins are good with Betta? Do you think any of the others would be good with them I think that'd make a neat tank a couple of female betas and a breed of rasboras?

I heard that harlequins are good with Betta? Do you think any of the others would be good with them I think that'd make a neat tank a couple of female betas and a breed of rasboras?
I think a sorority tank needs 5+ females and 20gal+

Also, helps if they are all added together and are from the same fry. And even then you have to have a backup plan in tact, in case any of them are not sociable.

I've found with betta having tank mates its best to establish the tank with whatever is going to be in it BEFORE adding the betta. Also, each betta has a different personality and some will lol anything and everything it can catch.

Good luck with your new tank! But much too small for a sorority ❤

Espei/Hengel Rasboras (or even the smaller ones) should be fine with bettas, they're not aggressive and are much better at swimming (y)

I think I'm going to go with maybe two female Bettas and a a school of Exclamation point rasboras, after I check stocking levels and such. And I have to see if my local pet store has any rasboras otherwise I have to order them, and I have to buy a heater and more plants

I thought beta are aggressive to other fish?
They definitely can be. It's best to establish a community tank and then add 1 betta, but some betta are just straight killers and eat everything in the tank regardless. Definitely depends on the individual bettas personality.

Sorority tanks house multiple females IF they're big enough (20g+) with enough hides and 5+females so that the aggression is spread out. For the least amount of aggression, I would add females all from the same fry.

Any time you add a betta with other fish ALWAYS have a back up plan in case they get aggressive.

I have 2 tanks (44 and 16 gallons). I always try to keep the communities peaceful. It's so hard to add new fish without suffering some sort of disruption. Once the fish are in there's not a hole lot you can do but watch. One time I added a new silver dollar. I had 2 that grew old and one died. I bought the old dollar a friend. The new dollar terrorized the old dollar. After 2 weeks I bagged up the new fish and returned him to the store. I was lucky that the new dollar didn't kill the old one. I feel that beta are pretty aggressive. I realize that the males are worse than the females. There are so many fun, colorful tetras,rugosa,hatchets,gourami and Corey cats. Why not go that rout. I also find that a tank with lots of hiding places(trees,shrubs,ornaments and hiding caves) is key to a happy tank no matter how large or small. Good luck and keep us posted with what you buy and how it goes.

I think I have decided on exclamation rasboras as I love their color and they're small. Soon I'll have a larger one up, it's anywhere from 20-35 gallons so that will be fun to stock!

Yes I have rugosas in my 44 gallon tank. An excellent choice. Friendly and colorful. IMG_5154.jpg

I have a ten gallon community with a betta, 7 neon tetras (schooling fish), an ivory apple snail, and a juvenile clown pleco. I'd still consider myself a newbie at tank keeping and this was my first of the three I currently have. It's worked out well and I've loved having every one of these guys so far. However, don't do as I did with the clown pleco, they need 20g minimum so I'm going to have to move it sooner than later.

If you're planning on putting a betta in the tank, you'll need to base the other stock around what bettas can live harmoniously with.

Back
Top Bottom