Least messy Community Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
Want to know the least messy fish for he Community aquarium. The least messy school of fish in terms of waste produced? Are corys messy? Are rams messy?

Obviously I maintain the tank regularly but it'd be a help to get fish which don't produce as much waste.

Want to know the least messy fish for he Community aquarium. The least messy school of fish in terms of waste produced? Are corys messy? Are rams messy?

Obviously I maintain the tank regularly but it'd be a help to get fish which don't produce as much waste.
Hi jamie1234:

For me, 'messy' is kind of a relative term. I think in general, larger fish probably produce more visible waste and smaller fish less. Of course, if you have a tank full of smaller fish. . . :)

That said, I've kept community tanks with shoals/schools of fish like danios, barbs, rasboras, tetras, etc. and usually noticed little visible waste (it's there, of course, in the substrate and on the filter media, just not that visible). I love livebearers but most people would agree that they're messy in that their waste is often visible (and abundant). I keep a lot of corys and brochis, and I wouldn't consider them to be messy.

For cichlids it's hard to say. I have quite a few kribs and I don't consider them particularly messy. When I've kept angels I've had some that seemed a little messier than others.

It's really up to you what you prefer your tank to look like and how you define 'messy.' Since you practice good and regular maintenance then my guess is that you could probably look at other characteristics of the fishes you'd like to keep. I think 'fish mess' is just one of those things we put up with! :)

My school of 6 glass catfish is very clean and quiet. I've never even seen them poop, though they eat eagerly.

Edit: I definitely agree with the comment about the messiness of live-bearers. I've got 4 platies and it seems at any given time at least one is pooping

Hi jamie1234:

For me, 'messy' is kind of a relative term. I think in general, larger fish probably produce more visible waste and smaller fish less. Of course, if you have a tank full of smaller fish. . . :)

That said, I've kept community tanks with shoals/schools of fish like danios, barbs, rasboras, tetras, etc. and usually noticed little visible waste (it's there, of course, in the substrate and on the filter media, just not that visible). I love livebearers but most people would agree that they're messy in that their waste is often visible (and abundant). I keep a lot of corys and brochis, and I wouldn't consider them to be messy.

For cichlids it's hard to say. I have quite a few kribs and I don't consider them particularly messy. When I've kept angels I've had some that seemed a little messier than others.

It's really up to you what you prefer your tank to look like and how you define 'messy.' Since you practice good and regular maintenance then my guess is that you could probably look at other characteristics of the fishes you'd like to keep. I think 'fish mess' is just one of those things we put up with! :)

It's just my first ever tank I had platys and they none stop poo'd everywhere and it wasn't nice to look at so I was wondering if there where other fish to avoid, mainly livebearers I guess.

My school of 6 glass catfish is very clean and quiet. I've never even seen them poop, though they eat eagerly.

Edit: I definitely agree with the comment about the messiness of live-bearers. I've got 4 platies and it seems at any given time at least one is pooping

I had that issue and was wondering if it's just the livebearers which constantly poo...

Back
Top Bottom