Molly Fish - submitted by derail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
derail said:
In regards to the "Pecking Order" I mentioned, I have observed over the past year or so that the aggression seems to mainly be on part of female molly's, with male molly's more concerned with food and mating. The part to remember with this is that whenever one states a fish is "Peaceful," "Mildly Aggressive," "Territorial," and so forth, there are exceptions to every rule and this personality observation may not apply to every fish of that specie. I have had Molly's that were so passive, Neon Tetras pushed them around during feeding time, and on the other hand I've had a molly so aggressive that I mused to my wife she'd give my Siamese Fighting Fish a run for his money :p

My daughter has 2 Molly that have seemed to pair off. The male is a silver Molly, Ghost, the female is a black lyre-tail Molly, Shadow. I have tried to introduce more female Molly in with them and the female will literally chase them to death. She pecks at them and chases them away from food and does not relent until they are taken out or dead. So I tried some males. Exact same thing. The male couldn't care less it seems, just so long as he has good water and food. So as of right now they are in a tank where the only other occupant is a mystery snail. Its no biggie really. Both of them seem happy, as long as they are alone. Find it odd though because I've never read anything about Molly pairing exclusively..

smomus said:
My daughter has 2 Molly that have seemed to pair off. The male is a silver Molly, Ghost, the female is a black lyre-tail Molly, Shadow. I have tried to introduce more female Molly in with them and the female will literally chase them to death. She pecks at them and chases them away from food and does not relent until they are taken out or dead. So I tried some males. Exact same thing. The male couldn't care less it seems, just so long as he has good water and food. So as of right now they are in a tank where the only other occupant is a mystery snail. Its no biggie really. Both of them seem happy, as long as they are alone. Find it odd though because I've never read anything about Molly pairing exclusively..

Wow that's interesting. Typically they don't, but some fish will. it's not outside the realm of possibility. 'Tis possible the female is the alpha and has accepted the male. If you want to add more, I'd suggest removing the aggressor to a separate tank for a day, switch some decorations around and reintroduce. Not saying that's what you're after of course lol. I like the post, info from other fish keepers is exciting to me lol. Gl with the pair!

derail said:
Wow that's interesting. Typically they don't, but some fish will. it's not outside the realm of possibility. 'Tis possible the female is the alpha and has accepted the male. If you want to add more, I'd suggest removing the aggressor to a separate tank for a day, switch some decorations around and reintroduce. Not saying that's what you're after of course lol. I like the post, info from other fish keepers is exciting to me lol. Gl with the pair!

I agree. I added my two females with the male and had no problems. Every time I add a territorial fish (did not expect mollies to be aggressive) I move around the decorations and introduce the new fish.

Since I posted that I have moved the 2 Molly to my community tank. I watched them very closely for a while. At first they hung out exclusively together, but have since branched out. The male, in the last few days, has become more aggressive towards the female, constantly harassing her. I am thinking I need to try and introduce some more females again. Hopefully since they are no longer the only inhabitants of the tank they will accept more of their kind.

Nice job! I never knew my mollies could get 4 inches, so far my biggest is 3 1/2

Hi, this is my first post on the forum. In my tank I have 5 Silver Lyre Tail Mollies and I will add more fish gradually. I want to add Glass Catfish but the guy at the pet shop told me that they are incompatible with the mollies. Is it true? Is there any chance they can coexist?

Thank you,
Antonis

Glass Cats are peaceful fish. I love them!!

Were did you get your blue Mickey mouse planty? I never seen one like that!

It's incredibly late to respond now lol, but I actually got all the fish in the pictures from Walmart. Now I have new broods that have grown from mating, but I still have that platy, for about a year and a half now

That is really good info well done!Anyways I'm not sure what my two balloon Molly's are male or female?
If anyone knows please tell me
My Molly's have been blowing bubbles my betta fish hasn't he is not making a bubble nest it is the mollies! I have so much oxygen in the tank I put the bubbles on and the live plant is in there so if anyone knows why please tell me

Back
Top Bottom