PLEASE help my tank is showing low ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissa81407

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I only have the stick type to measure levels right now and it shows my PH is below a 6.0 which is the lowest it will measure. How do I rase the PH up. Also I just treated for ick last treatment was yesterday. Could this have caused the PH to drop?

Doubt the treatment caused the drop. I also doubt the results of a strip test. Do you know anyone with an api liquid test you could use? Or possibly purchase the low and high range API liquid tests? I would retest the tank water, your source water out of the tap and in a cup after off gassing for 24 hours and determine if anything is lowering it. 6.0 out of the tap is awfully low

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have three other tanks and I use the same type of strips to test and they are all coming back normal 7.0. My fish are acting weird that's why I tested. My Cory is starting to float up when I tried to rest at the bottom. And my award tail is hiding at the back of the tank next to the filter. I'll test my tap water. I just did a 30% water change today maybe that caused it. I did use the water conditioner.

Your tap water prob had a ph swing (possibly?) buy a buffer asap. Add it to the tank gradually. I have to use a buffer weekly in order to keep my reef tank's ph optimal

When's the last time you did a water change on your other tanks? Try testing your ph water naturally also

Your tap water prob had a ph swing (possibly?) buy a buffer asap. Add it to the tank gradually. I have to use a buffer weekly in order to keep my reef tank's ph optimal

When's the last time you did a water change on your other tanks? Try testing your ph water naturally also

Thank you. I tested my tap water again this is with strips and it looks ok around 7.0 I did a 10% water change on my other tank and it tested 7.0 several hours after the water change. The only thing I can think of is that I put a piece of wood in the tank that started to get slimy several days ago so I took it out today. could that have caused the ph to drop.

Wood softens water and lowers the ph. It's dramatic at first but the effect lessens over time. You can add a small bit of coral/aragonite to your filter to counter the effect.

How old is the tank, where does the water come from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom