Pygmy Corydora Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshObsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
The Pygmy Cory Cat lives up to its name maxing out in size at about 1.2".

The bottom dwelling Pygmy Cory's scientific name is Corydoras Pygmaeus.

Like all Cory Cats they belong to the Callichthyidae family, or the Corydoradinae sub family.

The Pygmy Cory is comfortable in temperatures from 72-79 Degrees F.

A pH of 6.5-7.5 is ideal for the Corydoras Pygmaeus.

Algae Wafers, Frozen, Live, and Flake food are accepted readily by Pygmies. Note: Pygmy Corydoras are primarily meat eaters and should not be fed AW as a staple. A varied diet is great for them, though.

Unlike every other species of Corydora Catfish that require a 20 Gallon Long tank or 29 Gallon Tall tank, Pygmy Cories require a minimum tank size of 10 US Gallons!

Like all Corydora Species, Pygmy Cories require a school of at least 6 Pygmies per tank.

Sexing Pygmy Cories is rather easy; females are noticably rounder and usually get larger than males.

Due to this Corydora's peaceful nature they are compatible with most other peaceful community top, bottom dwellers, and will never be the bully of the tank. But, larger fish may pick on them. Choose tankmates carefully.

The Pygmy Cory Cat's natural habitats are in small tributaries and creeks in Rio Madiera Basin, Brazil sheltering by marginal vegetation and tree roots.

Breeding is acheived in a 10 Gallon tank dedicated to breeding Pygmies by obtaining more Males per female. Preferably 2M:1F. pH should be at 6.5 and temperature needs to be at 75 Degrees F.
Side note: Fry need extra care due to their size.

Finally, like all Corydora Catfish, Pygmies have sensitive barbels on their mouths that are easily damaged. With out their barbels the Cory will die. To prevent this it is recommended to use fine substrate such as sand or a VERY fine gravel to prevent Barbel Damage.

With proper care the Pygmy Corydora has an expected lifespan of 5 years.

pygmaeus-579518_203x203.jpg

Interesting Facts:
-Pygmy Cories, and all Cories, have the ability to breath from the surface of the air. This is normal but there is a problem if your Pygmy Cories are constantly darting to the top for air.
-Pygmy Cories are a part of the "armoured" catfish group. This means, instead of scales, Corydoras have two rows of bony plates running along their sides.
-Pygmy Cories are very sensitive to salt.
-C. Pygmaeus are not the traditional bottom dweller. Unlike most Corydoras, they hover aound in mid-tank regions more than on the bottom.

*I got some of my info from: Pygmy Cory (Corydoras pygmaeus) - Seriously Fish
I do not take credit for the Photograph, I did not take it.

Good job. Pygmy cories are fun little guys.
You should probably add in here that C. pygmaeus isn't a traditional bottom dweller like most other cories are and it hovers around closer to mid-tank rather than staying at the bottom.
I, personally, have found that, in general, clean water is more important for their barbel health than being picky about the exact gravel. Of course an exceptionally sharp gravel wouldn't be good, but I have never had an issue with any barbels on my standard, colored aquarium gravel.

Good job. Pygmy cories are fun little guys.
You should probably add in here that C. pygmaeus isn't a traditional bottom dweller like most other cories are and it hovers around closer to mid-tank rather than staying at the bottom.
I, personally, have found that, in general, clean water is more important for their barbel health than being picky about the exact gravel. Of course an exceptionally sharp gravel wouldn't be good, but I have never had an issue with any barbels on my standard, colored aquarium gravel.
Thanks! I will be sure to add that because I was just about to add Lifespan expectancy and a picture. I never get things right on the first draft. ;)
They are fun, I love Pygmies soooo much.

Just to be exact the name is
Corydoras pygmaeus ( second name is never capitalized )

Also Algae Wafers are not part of the recommended diet. They may eat them, but they are meat eaters. Catfish pellets, Shrimp pellets, frozen or live food is best.

Source, personal experience and Planet Catfish, plus a Club Member breeds these.

Last edited:
Just to be exact the name is
Corydoras pygmaeus ( second name is never capitalized )

Also Algae Wafers are not part of the recommended diet. They may eat them, but they are meat eaters. Catfish pellets, Shrimp pellets, frozen or live food is best.

Source, personal experience and Planet Catfish, plus a Club Member breeds these.

View attachment 89421

One of my pygmaeus babies from my friend.
I didn't say Algae Wafers were recommended...I said they can be a part of their diet. All fish should have a varied diet between Frozen and Live Treats. I added that Live Frozen, etc should be a part of their diet as well. Also, I will be sure to change the P in "Pygmaeus" to a p.

For more on their diet from Seriously Fish:
"Any food offered must be small enough for its tiny mouth. It will take dried foods, but these should be of a small grade or ground down before being added to the tank. For the fish to develop the best colour and condition a good proportion of the diet should also consist of small live and frozen foods such as sifted Daphnia or Artemia nauplii."

My dwarf Cories love Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp :) That and an cool PWC bring on breeding behavior ;)

MEDICATION* any meds that recommend half dose for scaleless or sensitive fish, that means CORIES !!! So read all warnings before medicating a tank with any Cories in it.

For more on their diet from Seriously Fish:
"Any food offered must be small enough for its tiny mouth. It will take dried foods, but these should be of a small grade or ground down before being added to the tank. For the fish to develop the best colour and condition a good proportion of the diet should also consist of small live and frozen foods such as sifted Daphnia or Artemia nauplii."

My dwarf Cories love Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp :) That and an cool PWC bring on breeding behavior ;)

MEDICATION* any meds that recommend half dose for scaleless or sensitive fish, that means CORIES !!! So read all warnings before medicating a tank with any Cories in it.
Great info! :thanks:

Guppies love Pygmy corydoras eggs, Yummy! I have 12 pygmies in my 55 guppy tank and they breed all the time but the eggs get sucked up by the guppies. I have no interest in breeding them since they go for 3 bucks each at the LFS. I would spend more on breeding than I would selling.

Back
Top Bottom