Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Fish or Plant Profiles
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 5 in a tank with 2 Dinosaur eels (Polypterus Senegalus), 2 Australian Rainbows, 2 Blood fin tetra's and 2 Blue gourami's... they all get along just fine and seem to stay Within their own groups, though the rainbows and bloodfins do tend to play together.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds about right....but beware as your P. senegalus begin to grow. They'll start to look at their smaller tankmates less as swimming buddies and more as snacks!

-Joe

Old 01-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat
Sounds about right....but beware as your P. senegalus begin to grow. They'll start to look at their smaller tankmates less as swimming buddies and more as snacks!

-Joe
That's why as soon as the 55 Gal is ready we will be moving everything but the Senegalus over there...
We'll keep them in the 20. is there anything that they seem to co-habitate well with that we could add to the 20 (Besides a Pleco?)
Old 01-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I mentioned a few possible tankmates in the profile. I keep my Polypterus senegalus with other similarly-sized bichirs, Bush Fish (Ctenopoma and Microctenopoma species), Synodontis catfish and African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi). My smaller P. senegalus are housed with Synodontis cats, Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus), African Mud Fish (Phractolaemus ansorgei) and other similarly sized bichirs.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 6 tigers in my school (2 regular, 3 albino, and 1 black). They are in with a red tailed shark, a striped raphael, an african brown knife, a skunk botia, a yo-yo botia, a clown loach, a zebra loach, and a couple of algae eaters. They seem to do well with this combination. No one else picks on them and they don't gang up on anyone else.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

aimeeo....

You have a good combination there because all of the fish you mention can take care of themselves.

-Joe
Old 01-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, the only one that I sometimes have problems with is the red tailed shark. For some reason, he likes to pick on certain newcomers. When I first put the brown knife in there (I had to move him out of my 125 gal because my juvenile clown knife kept beating him up), the first thing my shark did was come out of his hiding place and start chasing him around the tank. Now that the knife has taken to the back corner of the tank, the shark went back to his hiding place and all is well.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:55 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

nice profile 8)
Old 05-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Ariamus Send a message via Yahoo to Ariamus
Tiger Barbs are definitely my favorite barbs. I have had small schools as few as five and as many as 15 in my various tanks. They're certainly fun to watch.

I've also had great luck in that every time I've had both Tigers and Black Ruby Barbs (my second favorite kind of barb), they've "schooled" together readily and it makes for quite a sight (especially when the colors of both fish are deep and showing prominently).
5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 6 Cherry Barbs, 7 Algae Eaters, 6 Tiger Barbs, 6 Black Ruby Barbs, 6 Tri-color (Bala) Sharks, 6 Clown Loaches, 7 Assorted Corydoras, 1 Red-tailed Black Shark, 2 Rainbow Sharks

30 gal, Freshwater, "holding" community
2 Plecos, 16 assorted African Chiclid juveniles including: 5 Red Zebras, 5 Keniye (4 females & 1 male), 3 Acei, 3 Saluzzis (sp?), 3 Auratus (sp?), 1 adult female Keniye

Rui, aka Ariamus
Ariamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tiger Barbs - by Fruitbat

I am almost ready to start up my 90 gal again. How do the Tigers do with imitation plants? And do you think a 90 gal would hold 40 Tigers?
Ed

Tags
barb, barbs, tiger, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com