Tiger Barbs - by Fruitbat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
[center:e713b623d4]Tiger Barbs[/center:e713b623d4]
[center:e713b623d4]Capoeta tetrazona (Bleeker)[/center:e713b623d4]

Written by Fruitbat

Scientific Name: Capoeta tetrazona (Bleeker)
Synonyms: Barbus tetrazona, Puntius tetrazona, Barbodes tetrazona
Common Name(s): Tiger Barb, Sumatra Barb, Damsel Barb
Region: Sumatra, Borneo, Thailand and Malaysia (with unconfirmed reports from Cambodia)
Maximum Size: typically to about 7cm (2.7 inches)
pH Range: Tolerates varied conditions. Will thrive in water with pH from 6.5 - 7.5 and hardness from 100 - 250 ppm KH.
Temperature Range: 65-92 degrees F. Best temperature is 72-78 degrees F. Ideal breeding temperature is 78 degrees F.

First described by the German ichthyologist Bleeker in 1855 as Barbus tetrazona the generic classification of this and other barbs has been the subject of some debate. Currently the Tiger Barb is most correctly known as Capoeta tetrazona.

The Tiger Barb is one of the most commonly imported tropical fish. In 1992 (Chapman, et.al. 1994), about 2.6 million Tiger Barbs were imported into the United States, making it the tenth most popular ornamental fish. Because it is easily bred in large numbers (both in the United States and in the Far East), the price of Tiger Barbs is relatively low. A number of color varieties are now commonly available including the Green Tiger Barb, a nearly black variety, a bluish variety, and an albino strain.

Habitat and Niche

In the wild, Tiger Barbs are found primarily in still or moderately running bodies of water. Swamps, ditches, canals and other relatively shallow waters surrounded by dense vegetation are preferred habitats. They are usually found over substrates with a thick layer of mud and decomposing plants.

Studies on wild-caught fish indicate that Tiger Barbs are omnivores. Stomach analysis reveals that they eat plant material, small aquatic invertebrates and both terrestrial and aquatic insects.

Appearance

Tiger Barbs are fairly distinctive in appearance. Their background coloration ranges from light pink to yellowish with a metallic sheen. The dorsal surface tends toward a gold-brown and the belly fades to a whitish hue. There are typically four blackish-green vertical bands that encircle the entire body, though many fish that are available in pet stores have one or more incomplete bands. The dorsal fin is blackish-green at the base and is trimmed along the top in brilliant orange or red. The upper and lower lobes of the tail and the ventral fins are usually orange or red. The snout may also be colored orange or red. A pair of tiny barbels may be visible near the mouth of some fish.

[center:e713b623d4]
tiger1.jpg
[/center:e713b623d4]

Breeding Tiger Barbs

It is difficult to distingush between male and female Tiger Barbs, especially based on the intensity of color or markings. It is impractical to try to determine gender of Tiger Barbs that are less than an inch long. In young adult fish, females are generally slightly larger than males and have a higher, broader body. This is especially obvious when the female is filled with eggs. In the picture below, the male is the fish on the upper left and the female is on the lower right.

[center:e713b623d4]
tiger2.jpg
[/center:e713b623d4]

Capoeta tetrazona breeds in typical barb fashion. Males are active pursuers of the females but the courtship is usually over after a short chase. As many as 300 - 500 slightly adhesive eggs are scattered, three or four at a time, usually among thick plants. The eggs are small and light yellow in color. Hatching begins in about 24 hours and the young are soon visible clinging to the plants and moving around near the tank bottom. They are very small at first and require infusoria as a first food. They grow quickly if there is adequate room and are soon able to take baby brine shrimp and finely-ground flake food.

Personal Experiences With Tiger Barbs

I have had Tiger Barbs many times over the years that I've been in the aquarium hobby. They are fascinating, personable fish that, when in good color, can even rival many marine fish for color and flash. They are fairly hardy and are tolerant of a range of water conditions, though they prefer a tank that is clean. Mine are kept in water with a pH of 7.6 with a high level of hardness. They are definitely schooling fish and seem happiest in small schools of six or more. I once kept a 55 gallon tank with a school of about 40 Tiger Barbs and it was one of the prettiest tanks imaginable.

The only drawback to Tiger Barbs is their tendency to be fin-nippers. Fancy, long-finned fish like Betta splendens, Angelfish, Goldfish and others will prove to be irresistable targets for these little bandits and the fins of the other fish will soon be in tatters. I have found the fin-nipping tendency to be reduced when the Tiger Barbs are kept in schools of eight or more. Individual Tiger Barbs, especially males, can become tank bullies. It is not unusual, however, for Tiger Barbs to chase each other around the tank...though very little damage is ever done.

I have found that Tiger Barbs will eat practically any commonly available aquarium food. Mine have done well on flake food supplemented by frozen brine shrimp, frozen tubifex worms, Hikari Algae Wafers and (by far their favorite food) frozen bloodworms. My current school of eight Tiger Barbs come to the surface and ravenously take frozen bloodworms right out of my fingers.

One other observation...Tiger Barbs, once they're feeling secure in their aquarium, seem to be practically fearless. Every time I put my arm into the tank to clean the glass or re-arrange a plant I can count on being bitten mercilessly by my little piranha wanna-bes. Most of the time it is merely a tickling sensation but occasionally one of the larger fish will actually produce a pretty good little pinch!!

If you're looking for a flashy, colorful, hardy and relatively easy-to-breed fish to go into a species tank or in a community tank with no long-finned fish then you would be hard-pressed to find a better fish than Capoeta tetrazona, the Tiger Barb.

References:

Axelrod, Vorderwinkler, Emmens, Schulthorpe and Pronek, 1972. Exotic Tropical Fishes - Looseleaf Edition. Pages F-152.00-F152.14. TFH Press.

J.J.Hoedeman, 1975. Naturalist's Guide to Fresh-Water Aquarium Fish. Sterling Publishing Company, New York.

Dr. William T. Innes, 1966. Exotic Aquarium Fishes, 19th Edition. Aquariums Incorporated, New Jersey.

Tamaru, Cole, Bailey and Brown, 1997. A Manual for Commercial Production of the Tiger Barb, Capoeta tetrazona, A Temporary Paired Tank Spawner. Center for Tropical and Subtropical Aquaculture Publication Number 129.
(available on the web in pdf format at: http://www.ctsa.org/upload/publication/CTSA_129631672861294217744.pdf )

LOL - my tiger barbs try to eat my freckles when I put my arm into the tank! I know the thrill... They are awesome. I can only dream of what 40 tiger barbs together look like...

Just curious as to what else you might be able to put Tiger Barbs in with. Has anyone tried them with African Cichlids? Ideally, I suppose you should have a group of 8 for proper schooling, but will they still exibit schooling behaviour as a trio? Jeff

As a trio I'm afraid you'll get more aggression than schooling. I keep my Tiger Barbs with Blue Gouramis, Red-Line Barbs, Brilliant Rasboras, and a whole bunch of loaches. There haven't been any problems at all since I put the combination together. I've got a small school of 7 Tigers and they get along 'swimmingly' with the other fish.

question about tiger barbs

anybody ever experience disappearing tiger barbs?..my tank is completely covered, and yet in the last 6 months I have 'lost' 2 tiger barbs that had not been acting sick the day before...they just vanish overnight......Do they have the capability to gang up and kill one of the school for food and devour every scrap by morning? I have a school of 9 in a 29 gal tank. (3 tiger barbs, 3 green barbs and 3 neon rosy barbs)

dozer....

I've never had them devour a tank-mate that quickly. What else is in the aquarium and what kind of decorations are in it? Is there any possibility that the missing barbs could be stuck underneath or inside a decorative piece.

-Joe

All I have in the tank is some fake plants...(checked those) and some rock...I vacuumed the gravel the same day I noticed the last one gone, to try to find some trace of him....even checked the filter for pieces of fish (in case they had torn him up)..no luck..it is a complete mystery to me. This happened a few weeks ago and I never have found him. I don't have any other creatures in that tank besides my tiger barbs....I'll have to see if it happens again as I have now replaced the 2 that have disappeared. The only place that it is possible to get out of the tank is where the filter is....they would have had to swim against the current and just launch themselves from the tank....(I have cats, so if that's the case, I'll never find them... 8O )

I have 5 in a tank with 2 Dinosaur eels (Polypterus Senegalus), 2 Australian Rainbows, 2 Blood fin tetra's and 2 Blue gourami's... they all get along just fine and seem to stay Within their own groups, though the rainbows and bloodfins do tend to play together.

Sounds about right....but beware as your P. senegalus begin to grow. They'll start to look at their smaller tankmates less as swimming buddies and more as snacks!

-Joe

Fruitbat said:
Sounds about right....but beware as your P. senegalus begin to grow. They'll start to look at their smaller tankmates less as swimming buddies and more as snacks!

-Joe

That's why as soon as the 55 Gal is ready we will be moving everything but the Senegalus over there...
We'll keep them in the 20. is there anything that they seem to co-habitate well with that we could add to the 20 (Besides a Pleco?)

I mentioned a few possible tankmates in the profile. I keep my Polypterus senegalus with other similarly-sized bichirs, Bush Fish (Ctenopoma and Microctenopoma species), Synodontis catfish and African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi). My smaller P. senegalus are housed with Synodontis cats, Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus), African Mud Fish (Phractolaemus ansorgei) and other similarly sized bichirs.

I have 6 tigers in my school (2 regular, 3 albino, and 1 black). They are in with a red tailed shark, a striped raphael, an african brown knife, a skunk botia, a yo-yo botia, a clown loach, a zebra loach, and a couple of algae eaters. They seem to do well with this combination. No one else picks on them and they don't gang up on anyone else.

aimeeo....

You have a good combination there because all of the fish you mention can take care of themselves.

-Joe

Yeah, the only one that I sometimes have problems with is the red tailed shark. For some reason, he likes to pick on certain newcomers. When I first put the brown knife in there (I had to move him out of my 125 gal because my juvenile clown knife kept beating him up), the first thing my shark did was come out of his hiding place and start chasing him around the tank. Now that the knife has taken to the back corner of the tank, the shark went back to his hiding place and all is well. :mrgreen:

Tiger Barbs are definitely my favorite barbs. I have had small schools as few as five and as many as 15 in my various tanks. They're certainly fun to watch.

I've also had great luck in that every time I've had both Tigers and Black Ruby Barbs (my second favorite kind of barb), they've "schooled" together readily and it makes for quite a sight (especially when the colors of both fish are deep and showing prominently).

I am almost ready to start up my 90 gal again. How do the Tigers do with imitation plants? And do you think a 90 gal would hold 40 Tigers?
Ed

Back
Top Bottom