V227's Berdmorei Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thought I'd post some pics of my Berdmorei Botia Loach (Syncrossus Berdmorei).
I would like to establish a colony of at least four or five of these uncommon, pretty Loaches. My first attempt failed. Unlike most Loaches, the Berdmorei' s don't play well with their own kind. This guy was the largest of seven. A few of the baby Berdmoreis fell victim to some aggressive cichlids. The rest were intimidated to the point of starvation by their pictured big brother.
If I'm lucky enough to locate another batch of these rare Botias for sale, I'll probably pay the extra bucks for some larger ones.
The Berdmorei loach is a great scavenger and very active. Once big enough it can hold it's own against most aquarium fish. My Berdmorei is not particularly aggressive towards its tankmates, which include Red Tail Botia Loaches, BN Plecos and various African and New World Cichlids. Most websites predict the Berdmorei adult growth to be approx. Ten inches. At the rate mine is growing, it might take ten years to reach that size.

Attachments

• 20180826_084738.jpg
    20180826_084738.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20180823_092924.jpg
    20180823_092924.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 137
Most websites advise keeping five or more together, but after buying them I found a site clearly explaining that unless provided enough territory the dominant Berdmorei will likely kill the rest.
Appropriate Tank size wasn't specified but mine is housed in a 120 long.
I like a challenge and plan on stocking a few larger Berdmoreis.
Why is it that only the cool, pretty fish cause such problems?

Great looking loach. I would love to see it when you have 5 full grown adults together.

Thanks. The Berdmorei is not shy like most loaches, very active. They are just so uncommon, especially here in Oklahoma. No way to know when a group of them will come available again.

Back
Top Bottom