What plants are good for aquarium, fresh water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaheelAhmad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering what kind of plants i can find (cheap ones) for my aquarium, i am thinking to add money plants in it.
I also dont want to remove gravel and add terr/dirt in it...
Tank=120gallons.

I dont know proper names, so i am posting pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_8232.jpg
    IMG_8232.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_8233.jpg
    IMG_8233.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8234.jpg
    IMG_8234.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 160
Well your Iridescent Shark will outgrow ANY tank [emoji25]
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=172 They get over 4FEET long !

I'm surprised to see Balas with Goldfish. What temps are you keeping this tank ?
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1177&pcatid=1177

Goldfish will end up needing a pond, but should do ok for now. Assume they need about 40g a fish to grow properly.

It's awesome you have such a large tank. I would suggest reading up and learning about your fish. Esp since some can live very long lives. 37yrs is the record for a Goldfish. Plecos can live 20yrs.

For now big filtration and big water changes will keep tank pristine.

Live plants are tricky with Goldfish.
Try Anubias or Java Ferns glued or tied to driftwood.
But feed organic greens or shelled frozen/thawed/skinned green peas so they have tastier options than the plants. You can use a veggie clip of weight down
the greens. Zucchini, Romaine, etc...

OMG you have an Angel ?
Ok. Best advice...pick your favorite fish in the tank and do what is best for that species even if you need to swap out fish.

Angels are tropical and like warm water.

Goldfish are Coldwater and warm water has LESS oxygen for them. It makes them die younger.

For now things may seem fine. Long term ? This is not a good mix of fish.

Having such a large tank helps for sure. I'd rehome that Iridescent Shark or plan to eat him. They are food fish in native country. You cannot release them.

Have a good day...enjoy your tank...plan for a healthy future for your wet pets.

I don't think those are Goldfish. At least in the pics they look like Koi.
Koi are NOT aquarium fish. They need ponds.

Koi growth
"The first year the fish should grow to 8 inches
By the second year, the fish should grow to 12-14 inches
By the third year, the fish should grow to 16-22 inches
By the fourth year, the fish should grow to 24-28 inches
In the later years, growth of 1-3 inches can be obtained
The largest koi I have personally seen have hovered around the 40 inch mark. "

So far the Angelfish and maybe the Bala Sharks are the only fish that can live out their life in your tank. Balas get hefty.

Adult Bala Shark, not a shark, a type of big minnow. IMG_2843.jpg

Adult Iridescent Shark (Not a shark...a catfish).
IMG_2844.jpg

Adult Common Pleco
IMG_2845.jpg

( not my pics. All off Google)

I realized when you wrote Algae you meant Angelfish. I read it as Algae Eater and assumed Common Pleco. It's late, I read it wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks Coursair. My problem is that in my country not many know about fishes, and the aquarium shops only wish for your fishes to die. Seriously they do so we will buy more.
My tank width is 9" inches only. Which means i have to swap out fishes that will be bigger then that.
My tank temp is 26~28 degree Celsius.
Please can you suggest some book or blog i should study as a starter. I am planning to keep this aquarium for life time but need guidance.

I have googled the images and found i have these fishes.

(Goldfish.
Broadtail moor:2
Commet:8
Shubunkin: 4
Vailtail: 3, couldnt find black's pair. )

Angel fish: 4

Glofish tetra: 4 small breed+2 larger breed.

Bala shark: 2 black

Catfish iridescent shark: 2 .

Algae eater: 2

Crayfish: 2.

Yeah i mean algae eater. I wasn't mentioning angelfish, you read it right. [emoji106][emoji106]

There are a lot of videos on YouTube but you can get a lot of conflicting information.

Can you post full measurements for this tank ?

9" wide is very narrow.

If you decide to swap out some fish.

Angels could stay
Tetras could stay ( if they aren't nippy)

Some crayfish will kill and eat sleeping fish. What species or type of crayfish ?

If it was my tank.
I'd rehome the stuff that will get too big or isn't compatible.

Maybe keep
Angels
Tetras ( big group)
Add
Corydoras Catfish ( 8-10)
Plus
Maybe another peaceful group. ?

26°C is fine for Angels and most tropicals.

If you want to keep Goldfish ? I'd get a second tank. Maybe a 75g.
Fancy Goldfish can live in a tank.

Solid Gold on YouTube has a lot of great Goldfish videos. She breeds Goldfish.

This site has a lot of info. Read the stickies at the top of the forums to get some more ideas.

You tank is tricky to stock because of how narrow if is. If it's really tall it might be hard for Corydoras as they sometimes swim to the top for a gulp of air.

For smaller Algae Eater see if you can get a Bristlenose/Bushynose Pleco instead. They don't get over 5".

Decide what kind of tank you want tropical or cool water and we can try to help you stock properly.

What country are you in ?

Plenty of new people get crazy fish when they start out lots of bad information here in the USA as well.

Thanks Coursair. My problem is that in my country not many know about fishes, and the aquarium shops only wish for your fishes to die. Seriously they do so we will buy more.
My tank width is 9" inches only. Which means i have to swap out fishes that will be bigger then that.
My tank temp is 26~28 degree Celsius.
Please can you suggest some book or blog i should study as a starter. I am planning to keep this aquarium for life time but need guidance.

I have googled the images and found i have these fishes.

(Goldfish.
Broadtail moor:2
Commet:8
Shubunkin: 4
Vailtail: 3, couldnt find black's pair. )

Angel fish: 4

Glofish tetra: 4 small breed+2 larger breed.

Bala shark: 2 black

Catfish iridescent shark: 2 .

Algae eater: 2

Crayfish: 2.

Yeah i mean algae eater. I wasn't mentioning angelfish, you read it right. [emoji106][emoji106]
Hello Raheel. I don't know but I have a feeling that you live in Iraq! I'm from Iraq and the aquarium fish dealers here don't bother to advise you on fish keeping. They just want to sell! You are left to your own devices and self education. I learned a loooooot from YouTube videos on all types of fish, plants, substrates, lighting, etc. You need to do so. Need any help or advice I am ready. However, goldfish and plants don't go well together. I tried it. Put angles, tetras, gourami, barbs with plants. get good substrate to help your plants thrive. 1481576060909.jpg

Another photo of my aquarium

Attachments

• 1481576254813.jpg
    1481576254813.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 64
Hello Raheel. I don't know but I have a feeling that you live in Iraq! I'm from Iraq and the aquarium fish dealers here don't bother to advise you on fish keeping. They just want to sell! You are left to your own devices and self education. I learned a loooooot from YouTube videos on all types of fish, plants, substrates, lighting, etc. You need to do so. Need any help or advice I am ready. However, goldfish and plants don't go well together. I tried it. Put angles, tetras, gourami, barbs with plants. get good substrate to help your plants thrive. View attachment 291912

No. I live in Pakistan. Yeah i am trying YouTube videos and help of these forum users as yourself. [emoji2][emoji2]. Your tank is hush hush. Very beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom