Zebra Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

preyas1207

Aquarium Advice Regular
By preyas1207
Common name:Zebra danio (includes glofish)

Scientific name:Danio Rerio

Category: Danios

Distribution: India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Burma escaped into U.S.
Usually found in moderate to low currents in Freshwater streams and ponds

Temperament: highly active but can be very nippy with other fish including the same species

Diet:Omnivore eats insects and some plants will accept food readily

Care: Requires atleast 20 gallons long since they're HIGHLY active and swim everywhere best to keep in 72 degrees-82 degrees generally wont hide but keep in a well planted tank but may eat some plants

PH:Can go through a variety of ph levels can survive from 6.4 to around 8

Temperature: they prefer cooler temperatures

Size:They can reach 2.5 inches but usually stay around 1.6 inches

Range: All over too active

Color: blue, grey and gold

Breeding: use marbles as the danios will eat the eggs

Range: All over too active

Not that great but helps a bit, i have 4 of them with my turtles its quite cold here and they're pretty tolerant of the cold although i would keep them in a species only tank as they nipped all my fish and pierced into 2 of my guppies:banghead:

Something that I have herd about this fasinating fish is that the British heart foundation are using them for reserch as they are capable of regenerating and fixing there own hearts when they become damaged !
Very interesting information about this and the hopes that by studying them one day we can unlock the secrets .

Many thanks :)

They sound very active! I was thinking of getting a school but not so sure now. Can they handle strong filtration do you think?

I just got a school (9 count) of zebra danios and holy-cow if I didn't know better I would think my tank had espresso beans for filtration. They are very active and I bet they would love a high flow rate.

also, I have them in with neons and a pleco, no fin nipping observed for me, but they do need lots of room to swim. I would say 20 gallon long minimum, now that I've seen them in action.

I just got a school (9 count) of zebra danios and holy-cow if I didn't know better I would think my tank had espresso beans for filtration. They are very active and I bet they would love a high flow rate.
good luck haha, those things are crazy.. I forgot to turn on my heater and filters after a water change and the thing that tipped me sonething was wrong In the morning is that they were even crazier than normal, temp dropped from 79-70, they were loving it...

LOL its true that they prefer cooler waters and they are handling below 60 in my turtles tank not only hearts they regenerate but their finsas well there's also a genetic called the casperfish you can see its internal organs

also, I have them in with neons and a pleco, no fin nipping observed for me, but they do need lots of room to swim. I would say 20 gallon long minimum, now that I've seen them in action.

There won't be much nipping for those fish since neon tetras have relatively short fins including the pleco unless it's a longfin and the danios would probably miss a possibly military camo pleco :p kinda late for this though :3

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I lost heat one winter for over 1 week also no electric I had ice starting to form on the top of the tank , but when the heat came back on I went to take the dead fish out of the tank and they where swimming like nothing happened , I have seen them mixed in with gold fish in ponds

Before we knew better I had 2 of these with one cory in a 1.5 gallon tank with no filter or heater. We went away for a week in the fall - nice and warm when we left, cold when we got back. It was 42 degrees in the house when I got home. The Cory was long gone, but one of the Danios was still kicking. The other looked dead, but when I touched him with the net he moved a little so I left him in. I turned on the heat in the house and by the time the water warmed up both were swimming around like nothing happened.

I currently have 4 in a 20 long tank - upgrading soon to a 75 and really looking forward to getting a school of about 20 of these guys.

I lost heat one winter for over 1 week also no electric I had ice starting to form on the top of the tank , but when the heat came back on I went to take the dead fish out of the tank and they where swimming like nothing happened , I have seen them mixed in with gold fish in ponds

Danios are a wonderful classic fall back for fish keeping :)

Just remember, just because it's an easy fish to keep doesn't mean it's conditions should be any worse than a group of $70 discus! :)

Emerald76

I had three in a 29 tall and they were crazy! We got the 180g and gave them 14 more friends and they have a blast! It really is like they're on espresso!

As for nipping, all of mine are long fun except for 1 short and they NEVER bother my angels. They are too busy playing tag. It's always a big party when I add an other danio. They really are a "more the merrier" kind of fish.

Sent from my iPhone

when i had a school of 15 zebra danios in my 46 gallon bow, i used to love waking up and sitting by the tank with my morning cup of coffee before work, and watching them do their thing as the first light started hitting the tank.

that first light really gets them going....

wow that sounded creepy. not a creep

I have 7 in my 20 long and they were all super hyper but now after a few months they are all very calm is there something wrong with them. All the other fish in the tank have normal behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Carter? Have you added any other fish? Mine calmed down after a while too, but we added some giant danios so that might have had something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom