Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advice on upgrading aquarium please

Hi,

I currently have a 160l aquarium and am upgrading to a juwel 350 which has been used as a marine tank previously.

Can you advise if I will need to do anything with the internal filter which is with the juwel other? I was planning on using my current filter alongside this one until the one with the juwel has been running a few weeks and then I would remove my fluval 306.

Does anyone have any other advice on what I should do to make the transfer easy for the fish.

I will be putting the new aquarium in the same place as my current one and not sure if anyone else has had issues with this type of move.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could take the filter cartridge from the old one, and stick it in the new one, along with a new cartridge so the bacteria from the old one colonizes the new one

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you, how long would that take do you think? Would I be able to use just the internal filter on its own right away?

Old 11-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, make sure you thoroughly clean the marine tank and filter. I would also look and make sure the media in the filter is appropriate for a freshwater setup.

But once that is done, get the tank up and running for 24 hours and then move the fish and filter from the other tank. Leave the old filter on the tank for at least a couple of weeks.

I would also recommend acclimating the fish to the new tank the same way you would if you were bringing them home from the store.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you both!

The other issue I have is that I want to put the new tank where the old one is and they will both be difficult to move when full of water.

Do you have any suggestions?

Tags
advice, aquarium, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com