Are my gouramis male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_friend

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey, I have a 95 litre tank with 13 fish in, getting more.
Anyway, I originally had two dwarf gourami but one passed away :nono:!
The remaining one became lonely so I bought a powder blue dwarf gourami, it is blue with orange rims on tail and fins, when I put it in, at first they were interested in each other, but then the old one (who is quite a bit bigger) started chasing the new one and nipping at its tail. the old one has distinctive orange stripes but, even using the internet guide, I can't figure out which if it is male or female. the new one has a pointed dorsal fin so i'm guessing it is male, are they just boisterous boys or is one a female? Please help!:fish1::fish2:

hi these are pictures of the gouramis-

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

not sure if they will work, but if you can see the pics, the bottom one (I think) is the powder blue and the top one is my old dwarf gourami:blink:

What other fish have you got? You aren't supposed to keep 2 male Gouramis together. They will fight. The tank might be overstocked as well if you want more fish.

tank defiantly isn't overstocked, and they aren't fighting at all, they ignore each other.

Female's are very bland in colour males have pointed dorsal

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You have 25 US Gallons. Minus the area your substrate takes up.

In a heavily planted tank with lots of floating plants, they might stake out separate territories.
Your tank looks like the upper area is pretty clear so they can constantly see each other, so you may have them constantly fighting.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey, I have a 95 litre tank with 13 fish in, getting more.
Anyway, I originally had two dwarf gourami but one passed away :nono:!
The remaining one became lonely so I bought a powder blue dwarf gourami, it is blue with orange rims on tail and fins, when I put it in, at first they were interested in each other, but then the old one (who is quite a bit bigger) started chasing the new one and nipping at its tail. the old one has distinctive orange stripes but, even using the internet guide, I can't figure out which if it is male or female. the new one has a pointed dorsal fin so i'm guessing it is male, are they just boisterous boys or is one a female? Please help!:fish1::fish2:

tank defiantly isn't overstocked, and they aren't fighting at all, they ignore each other.

Yes, they have a tendency of passing away when you keep multiple dwarf gouramis together, especially in such a small tank.

In your first post you describe behavior that contradicts your later post.

Back
Top Bottom