Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Biorb

I've just found out about this 'biorb' tank. Its fairly small (30l) but its an interesting design and seems to be lower maintenence than a standard tank.

This is the company's website http://www.reef-one.com/

I thought I'd post it up to see if anyone's got one/seen one/got any comments before I splash out. (Basic cost seems to be around £100 for the tank and all its bits, plus another £32 ish for a heater if you want to keep tropicals)

Old 07-04-2003, 05:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
I have seen them and they are pretty cool looking. They would mainly be used for lighting, as they are rather bright.

Old 07-27-2003, 06:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Vicshaw Send a message via MSN to Vicshaw
That tank looks pretty cool! Did you get one in the end?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Orb

Hi
Ok for FW or tropicals, but they do a marine update for it, I had one don't touch it fish last 3 weeks max if you do 25% water change weekly.

Dukie
Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've got one - I love it, although its limited in how many fish you can have - hence the fact that I now have two other tanks!!! going shopping for fish is addictive!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	my tropicals.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	17518
Old 04-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That looks pretty neat. I had a choice between a 30L biorb or a ready-to-go 60L standard tank, both £95...

Then I looked at the extra gubbins the Biorb wanted and the kit you have to replace every month or so! The future costs of running a biorb kinda put me off, I have to say, but that one looks pretty cool.

The limited choice of substrates and rather plasticky-looking top and base was a turnoff for me, too. I like the idea with my standard tank that if I need to upscale I can use the same filter, heater, and aeration kit out of the old tank.

What's that circle in the front of the sphere? Some sort of magnifier? If so, that is very cool.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thumbs up for biorb

I'm glad to see some good feedback on the biorb! I've had a 60litre marine biorb up and running since 25th April and haven't had any problems, it has been a dream so far and all the params have been around 0 since setup!!! The live rock I purchased to go in was very mature so this seems to have cycled it instantly (3.5kg live rock). None of the inhabitants have died so I am totally in favour of these tanks so far. The only problem I have come across today whilst doing my first lot of maintenance is that I can't get the bubble tube to untwist and come out, to change the service kit (filter). I am a bit worried that it is stuck indefinitely so anybody who knows how to rectify this please do let me know! I would recommend the 60litre over the smaller one because it really is the minimum volume of water to ensure reasonable stability. Also, keeping corals is nigh on impossible due to the lighting available, except for non-photosynthetic ones which usually require daily target feeding. I would say, "Go for it!" I haven't regretted it, but I do want to find a way to unlock the bubble tube!!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Donlt necessarily believe those replacement guidelines--after all they may be based more on maximising what you pay than what the fish need.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your comment Mystery. Please could you explain in more detail what you mean - also is your comment a response to mine or ElwoodPDowds? I have left it longer than recommended before doing the maintenance but I need to do a PWC/filter replacement now because the trace elements etc found within the filter cartridge will be depleted and the water may not be filtered safely after a certain period of time.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe Biorb suggests a replacement frequency that is a little too high. With water testing you can wait until the change is needed.

Tags
bio, biorb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com