Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
yes thanks. I went to my local aquarium supply shop just now, to which i noticed a tank of over 20 females, with a male amongst them. I ask the lady operating the shop if this was ok.. to which she assured me it was.

I can only supose that she does not have the correct knolledge on the species.

As for my own tank, i think i will just have the one sex.

tomoisawatergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
they can but I guess it matters on the betta's personality. I've had sweet betta's and not so sweet betta's

Bettacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
come get me tang police!

I have a male betta in my 125 with discus and angelfish.
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It all depends on the personality of the fighters, generally females are fine in groups of 3 or more but in saying that I keep all my females separate because two are rather aggressive.
One female has successfully killed two of her siblings and 2 zebra danios in her short life, though the healthy danios can easily out-swim her.
I find that often the higher water currents that are often in community tanks can take some getting used to for a betta and if they are aggressive the other occupants will generally learn to use that to their advantage when getting out of the way.
I also like to have them in planted tanks to break up lines of sight.
One male on his own in a large planted tank with the right tank-mates should be fine imho.
Samba264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by tomoisawatergod View Post
Can bettas get along in a community tank?

I was told o the american side if this site that putting one in is a big taboo. Is this true??
I have many community tanks with bettas in them, both male and female. Bettas should not be in a tank with another betta, but in my experience, other fish are usually fine. I have had a couple males that needed to be kept solo, but most have been community safe. I've had so many females over the years and I've never had one that wasn't a good candidate for a community, though they do exsist as well.

If you want to try to add a betta to the community, as a general rule, it's good to add the betta last. That way there aren't any established territories set up for it to defend. Also avoid mixing it with other labyrinth fish, such as gourami's, if you want to be on the safe side. Also to be avoided are fish with long flowing fins. Especially in the case of the males since it may trigger their insinct to fight other male bettas. Fish that may be attracted to nip at long fins should be avoided as well. Because they are labyrinth fish that rise to the surface to breathe, I recommend floating plants, especially if there are zippy schoolers around. Bettas love to nestle up into the floating plants for easy access to the surface air, and it will help them feel more secure in a busy community setting.

Bettas are often short-changed and labeled as "fighters" that must be kept alone, usually in a small tank. They love to be in larger tanks, and in general, are model community citizens. Still, that being said, it's wise to have a back-up plan in case the mix of fish you decide on doesn't quite work out.
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by tomoisawatergod View Post
Thank for the advice, that is good i shall continue to get one. What about a female with the male??
IMO a female and a male should be combined only under supervision for breeding, and even then sometimes it turns ugly. Females should only be kept together if they are sisters that have never been apart and show zero signs of flaring/aggression towards eachother.

siva is offline   Reply With Quote

betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com