Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

can bettas be comnunity fish?

Can bettas get along in a community tank?

I was told o the american side if this site that putting one in is a big taboo. Is this true??

Old 09-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im from UK to. Some advice on here (which is.very welcome) is from American side and they do things different over there. This seems a very American site/phone app.

Betta or male fighters as i call them are fine in community tank but you have to be cautious with what other fish u put in there. No male guppies betta may think they are competition and fight them, no barbs (red cherry barbs normally ok) no black widow tetras and a few others. Only because betta will get fin nipped. hope this helps a bit.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

Hey, I'm from Oz, I've had fighters with Tetras, Mollies, platys, cherry barbs, swordtails, and recently dwarf Gouramis, (Though be careful with the gouramis, I got a bully but the one he's in with now is fine.)
I DID have him in with guppies (just for a while the tank he was in filter broke) but they started to eat his tail. I put a divider in and late got rid of the guppies anyway.
Be careful, but in experience you don't have to worry about THEM being aggressive, but more OTHERS being agressive to them! Fighters are BIIIIIIG sooks, all bark no bite, they really are pathetic in a fight except with that of their own kind. So I say a Big Yes to them being community fish, though I'd choose a community around them, that consists of non fin-nippy fish.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank for the advice, that is good i shall continue to get one. What about a female with the male??
Old 09-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

I personally wouldn't. Some people do but Males can harry a female to death if she is not ready to spawn but he is. There is a LOT of work and experience involved in breeding fighters And even if she is ready you wouldn't want spawning in a community tank. I would stick with just the one male.
The females aren't very pretty anyway I find.
He will be quite happy in a passive community tank. What are you planning to put him in with?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Currently i have some sword tails corys and a few neons..... currently its a peacefull tank.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

You would need to have at least 2 females really so he can spread his attention but as mentioned they aren't as colourful as males.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #8

He'll be TOTALLY happy in that. Mine was so happy when he was in with my Cherry Barbs & Swordtails, though I did move the Cardinal tetras with him into his new tank.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

As with anything I think caution must be used. I personally am scared of putting females with males, my friend put a female in with her male and he killed her within 2 days just would not stop chasing her, He must have just exhausted her, she took her out but it was too late, the damage was done and sadly she died.
Though don't believe everyone you hear, I have whats called an "Aggressive community" in my large tank. Everyone shot me down, but I used caution, and had a back-up plan if it didn't work but turns out it all worked out fine.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi there,
I'm from America so I'm not sure how it is over the pond, but here it's generally recommended that you only have males and females together for a short period of time if you're attempting to breed them, otherwise it's the equivalent of having two male bettas and the male will kill the female. If you wanted to try a female sorority of six or more you could do a thirty gallon tank heavily planted. However be aware that females don't always get along so be sure to have a back-up plan to put them in different tanks if it's not going to end well.
Hope this helped, good luck!

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com