Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Excess green algea

Suddenly I appear to have got green spots of algea all over the Inside of my tank glass has anyone any tips on prevention/cure ?? All ideas welcome !! First photo shows location second shows if you look carefully the algea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-174426692.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	103959   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2107398108.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	103960  

Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

First, the good news is that aside from being unsightly, green algae doesn't pose a threat to your fish.

Some people add one of many types of algae-eating fish to their tanks -- though you'd have to take into consideration your current stocking level.

Aside from that, algae thrives on two things, light and nutrients. If the aquarium gets any direct sunlight, that can contribute greatly to the algae problem. Limiting artificial light can help keep algae under control as well.

As far as nutrients go, more frequent water changes and keeping nitrates low may also help.

Again, though, aside from being unsightly, algae isn't a health threat to the fish, and there isn't an aquarium keeper out there who hasn't had algae in his/her tank from time to time.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Kind words!! Thank you i didnt think it was a threat just the unsightly look!! I have a number of cherry shrimp and a brislenose plec too

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com