Fish filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaysee1960

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, new to this so maybe there have been posts about this before but I need to know what is the best filter for goldfish tank. Fish are my daughter's but she's left home and says she has no room for them so I'm stuck with them. This is the second filter for the tank (marina i-25, I think) but it's constantly needing cleaned. I changed the water on Monday and had to change it again today. Water was cloudy and very foamy. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

What size is the tank. And like many others on this site I love aqua clear filters. They are quite easy to keep clean. And do a exceptional job at keeping the tank clean.

Not sure about the size of the tank...I think it's maybe 20 litres....but thanks for the reply, I will check out the filter you recommended....thanks again:)

Not sure about the size of the tank...I think it's maybe 20 litres....but thanks for the reply, I will check out the filter you recommended....thanks again:)

That's an Awfully small tank for a goldfish

Gold fish are some of the messiest freshwater fish and keeping it in a something that small isn't fair for the poor thing. Gold fish can live 20-30 years

Hello! I guess it could have been worse: she could have left you caring for a big dog or something! Lol

So how many goldfish are there and are they the fancy type or the single tail type?

Being very 'dirty' fish, goldfish need a lot of water, and a lot of water changes. And a big filter.
Pet shops sell goldfish as beginner fish, usually in small 'beginner' tanks, but I've found they are actually quite labour intensive to keep.
Admittedly I have a comet in only about a 280 litre tank with a similar sized gibbiceps, but even with over filtration (1000 l/hr external canister, 2 internal canisters and 2 powered sponge filters) I still have to do large water changes every couple of days to keep the water clear. I also have a bare bottom tank for them so Ivan keep it very clean. When I had them with gravel it was gross!

Hello! I guess it could have been worse: she could have left you caring for a big dog or something! Lol

So how many goldfish are there and are they the fancy type or the single tail type?

Being very 'dirty' fish, goldfish need a lot of water, and a lot of water changes. And a big filter.
Pet shops sell goldfish as beginner fish, usually in small 'beginner' tanks, but I've found they are actually quite labour intensive to keep.
Admittedly I have a comet in only about a 280 litre tank with a similar sized gibbiceps, but even with over filtration (1000 l/hr external canister, 2 internal canisters and 2 powered sponge filters) I still have to do large water changes every couple of days to keep the water clear. I also have a bare bottom tank for them so Ivan keep it very clean. When I had them with gravel it was gross!

I don't think the poster understands that filters don't do everything.

You still have to use a gravel cleaner and do water changes. You need to use a dechlorinator when you do water changes.

Well, we've had the fish for about 9 years now and never had any problems until now so it's not like we are novices. I was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation as to what was a good filter, that's all. I would have preferred if she'd left a dog :)

Well, we've had the fish for about 9 years now and never had any problems until now so it's not like we are novices. I was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation as to what was a good filter, that's all. I would have preferred if she'd left a dog :)

Hehe. I prefer cleaning fish poop, to clearing the land mines in my back yard :lol:

So what sort of filter are you thinking of? Internal, HOB, external? What size is the tank, is it planted, how many fish etc etc. all these things need to be considered when choosing a filter. Without that info, all we could do is share with you what our personal preferences are, not what would best suit your setup. Are you wanting it as a backup or replacement for he filter you're running now?

They must sell them under another name?
I don't think so, I have spent literally hours online trying to find them. They can be imported from the US but in America, they run a different voltage than Europe(or most of it). This probably the reason. I have tried to get a lot of equipment that our American friends have raved about but no luck. The Fluval C range, which many view as an updated Aquaclear, are available.
Hagen own both companies....

I don't think so, I have spent literally hours online trying to find them. They can be imported from the US but in America, they run a different voltage than Europe(or most of it). This probably the reason. I have tried to get a lot of equipment that our American friends have raved about but no luck. The Fluval C range, which many view as an updated Aquaclear, are available.

I was about to say I thought Hagen and Fluval were European based companies (not sure why). But I forgot about the voltage thing :(
I suppose you can get an Ehiem canister.
Good luck in your quest.

I was about to say I thought Hagen and Fluval were European based companies (not sure why). But I forgot about the voltage thing :(
I suppose you can get an Ehiem canister.
Good luck in your quest.
I think your right. Both Hagen and Fluval are German, I think!!. Hagen bought Aquaclear, so that might explain why they don't sell Aquaclears in Europe and they decided to update it and brand it as a Fluval. I could be wrong, just a thought!!!

You silly Europeans we invent cars and electricity and you make it all backwards over there and make things hard to be comparable :/

You silly Europeans we invent cars and electricity and you make it all backwards over there and make things hard to be comparable :/
What's this 'we' business, you'll find those 'Americans' inventers where probably silly European immigrants who built up your country after they stole it from it's rightful owners!!!!
PS...Your name is not very 'American', sounds very IRISH to me.....haha

You don't like the Fluval C range?
They seem a bit pricey for a HOB filter- I can get a 1000 l/hr canister for the price of the ones I've seen! :0

What's this 'we' business, you'll find those 'Americans' inventers where probably silly European immigrants who built up your country after they stole it from it's rightful owners!!!!
PS...Your name is not very 'American', sounds very IRISH to me.....haha

On topic
I would get 2 filters for gold fish either aquaclear's or fluval C or go canister if you can.

Off topic

Oh that it is ladie but why do would Europeans immigrate if their countries were so great ? :) I'm Irish / German and eeeek a tiny bit polish. Features of a German if you know what I mean hairy tall and giant feet size 13" that's 1 foot 1 inch that's 33cm and I'm 6'3 . Haha but my full name is Patrick James Riley haha

And no theft if they moved here once you move to a new country you are a citizen their "if done legally ofcoarse" and still why did things have to get so switched around makes everything more difficult

On topic
I would get 2 filters for gold fish either aquaclear's or fluval C or go canister if you can.

Off topic

Oh that it is ladie but why do would Europeans immigrate if their countries were so great ? :) I'm Irish / German and eeeek a tiny bit polish. Features of a German if you know what I mean hairy tall and giant feet size 13" that's 1 foot 1 inch that's 33cm and I'm 6'3 . Haha but my full name is Patrick James Riley haha

And no theft if they moved here once you move to a new country you are a citizen their "if done legally ofcoarse" and still why did things have to get so switched around makes everything more difficult
I'm sure the Native American Indians didn't issue visas or citizenship back then. I think your name says it all...Paddy...haha
It is a pity, for us anyway, that we don't all use the same current/voltage...
I think we should leave it there, sorry OP!!!
PS... Henry Ford was an Irish/American(y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom