Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm new to this. So much to learn!!!! I'm cycling a freshwater tank at the moment- it's 110litres.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Local Fish Store!!. If you hover your curser over the word, it usually gives the full word.....
Very nice, I plan on having a cichlid tank myself, someday!!
I'm using a phone. There is a few shops but not much of a choice in them wat about drogheda

Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx99 View Post
I'm new to this. So much to learn!!!! I'm cycling a freshwater tank at the moment- it's 110litres.
Wat kind of fish are ya thinking of
Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidentank View Post

Wat kind of fish are ya thinking of
Well I love the look of the Black Mollies. I'm also gonna start with some tetras and a not too big bottom feeder like a bristlenose. I dont want to get anything too "difficult" to start with.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi and welcome to the forum from me over here in the UK
Best advice is to take it real slow and do plenty of research,the Bristlenoses will be perfect,black mollies are good but do like it warm and prefer very hard water {A High P/H} but plenty to choose from
Old 07-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm using a phone. There is a few shops but not much of a choice in them wat about drogheda
Same. Not much choice, just two. One kinda large chain store, I don't buy fish here. They don't seem to last more than a few weeks. All the tanks are connected and run off the same sump. One tank gets sick, they all get sick. They do have a great selection though, pity. The second store, very small but I love it. The staff(2 of them!) are really nice and know there stuff. He doesn't have much of a choice but can order in almost any fish needed. I go in there every Saturday and spend 2-3hrs just sitting there, drinking tea, checking out his stock list and general chatting.....
Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Same. Not much choice, just two. One kinda large chain store, I don't buy fish here. They don't seem to last more than a few weeks. All the tanks are connected and run off the same sump. One tank gets sick, they all get sick. They do have a great selection though, pity. The second store, very small but I love it. The staff(2 of them!) are really nice and know there stuff. He doesn't have much of a choice but can order in almost any fish needed. I go in there every Saturday and spend 2-3hrs just sitting there, drinking tea, checking out his stock list and general chatting.....
I find it the exact same here the small store no more she is very helpfull I Sean in your pic your 55 gal is it silica sand you have in it if so any helpfull tips on cleaning it
Old 07-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I find it the exact same here the small store no more she is very helpfull I Sean in your pic your 55 gal is it silica sand you have in it if so any helpfull tips on cleaning it
Yeah kids play sand from Tesco!!. Probably the best advice I can give you is, when feeding, only feed tiny amounts at a time, when they eat that, feed more and so on until they stop eating. My aim is to never let any food hit the substrate. I know that might sound obvious but it makes a big difference in keeping the sand clean. Also a few cory's are great for moving the sand around. When I do my PWC's(partial water changes), I use my large thongs to gently stir the sound around. If I was going to change it, I would use pool filter sand. There is a company in Dublin that sells it, and deliver for e10. Also when your vacuuming, just gently stir the sand and all the crap will float and be sucked up and out.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx99 View Post
Well I love the look of the Black Mollies. I'm also gonna start with some tetras and a not too big bottom feeder like a bristlenose. I don't want to get anything too "difficult" to start with.
For your stock, i'm a big fan of livebearers, mollies, platies, guppies. Good non-aggressive fish, ideal for beginners. Widely available, cheap, colourful and you will get regular batches of fry, which encourages good housekeeping.
For your bottom feeders, I would go with 3/4 CoryCats instead of the bristlenose. I do like the bristlenose but they poop a lot, which can mess with your water parameters, especially in a new tank. I would wait until you get a bit more experience and understand water parameters a bit better. That's no disrespect intended to you but over here they are a bit pricey, so save your money and wait until you have your main stock and then decide.....
Old 07-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
For your stock, i'm a big fan of livebearers, mollies, platies, guppies. Good non-aggressive fish, ideal for beginners. Widely available, cheap, colourful and you will get regular batches of fry, which encourages good housekeeping.
For your bottom feeders, I would go with 3/4 CoryCats instead of the bristlenose. I do like the bristlenose but they poop a lot, which can mess with your water parameters, especially in a new tank. I would wait until you get a bit more experience and understand water parameters a bit better. That's no disrespect intended to you but over here they are a bit pricey, so save your money and wait until you have your main stock and then decide.....
Cool thanks for the advice! I just love the Bristlenose-my friend has one they are really full of character!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com