Hello from Ireland!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New tank

Recently set up coffee table tank and put my danios in it last Sunday took them out today as I now have fry.

Danio fry

Here's a video. The best I can do cause they've so small. Reckon there is about 50

Hi to all,

Just a quick query. I have seen a couple of our American friends on this site talking about fish auctions that take place. Just wondering does anything like this ever take place in Ireland.

Danio fry

Here is the latest video of the fry at 5 days old. Reckon some of them are only couple of days old. Must have hatched later. Think I underestimated the quantity. There must be a hundred.

Cool Bazza. That some amount you have there. What's the plan for them. Have you got a LFS store that will take them??

They have said they will once they look like good fish. There is 3 other stores close by if it comes to it but hope the one I use takes them. Hadn't planned on that many. May have left the adults in 1 day too long. Ooops. Could u see the video. I can't watch it on the site

They have said they will once they look like good fish. There is 3 other stores close by if it comes to it but hope the one I use takes them. Hadn't planned on that many. May have left the adults in 1 day too long. Ooops. Could u see the video. I can't watch it on the site
Will they give you credit or cash or are they just taking them for free!!. Yeah video plays no problem. My platy is giving birth as we speak. The little madam is also munching on them, 10 saved so far. I raised her from fry, so I have the grandparents, parents and now the grandkids. Only problem is, they are inbred. I'm not sure whether to hold onto all the platys. I'm in the process of setting up a new 29g and don't really know what stock I'm going with. They are beautiful but very messy. I have a soft spot for guppies, so maybe i'll go with them or endlers....

I don't mind if they give me nothing once they can be taken. He did say we could do some sort of deal. I just wanted to see fry develop as when I got my first tank I had fry straight away but couldn't save them. Especially now with barbs in the tank they wouldn't have a chance to survive. So I moved my danio into my new tank to let them breed. They are now back in the original tank. Maybe they mite give me my first fish for the second tank for free in exchange for the fry. Have u someone to take the platy fry? I have been following your thread on your 29g. Looks like it going to be ace

I don't mind if they give me nothing once they can be taken. He did say we could do some sort of deal. I just wanted to see fry develop as when I got my first tank I had fry straight away but couldn't save them. Especially now with barbs in the tank they wouldn't have a chance to survive. So I moved my danio into my new tank to let them breed. They are now back in the original tank. Maybe they mite give me my first fish for the second tank for free in exchange for the fry. Have u someone to take the platy fry? I have been following your thread on your 29g. Looks like it going to be ace
My LFS offered me €1 per guppy juvenile. I never got that project off the ground because I could NOT get decent stock. I went with a nice pair of solid orange platies. The tank they are in at the moment is being stripped down to make space for the 29g. Man I HATE that tank. It's a 50ltr cube tank. I could NEVER get it set up the way I wanted it. I think i'll take a hammer to it!!!. I might keep the breeding pair and send the juves to the LFS. Yeah the 29g is going slowly. People that I thought with be available to help, letting me down. You know how it is over here.... "Yeah no problem, i'll ring you back later tonight about the stand/substrate/paint". Two days later and still no answer!!!!. The LFS should give you around €1(credit) each for those fish when they are big enough.

Last edited:
If u were going to breed the platys would u not keep the 50 ltr for the fry. Would I really get €1 for them seeing as you can get them readily for about €1.69

If u were going to breed the platys would u not keep the 50 ltr for the fry. Would I really get €1 for them seeing as you can get them readily for about €1.69
Sorry, my mistake!!. I tired when I typed that. I forgot Danios are cheaper than platys. You would probably get around 50-60c each. Still a nice bit of cash or credit. I did think about keeping the tank for the fry but I have nowhere to put it in my house. I already have 3 tanks in my sitting room and a 29g in a few days. I promised the girlfriend I'd strip down one tank to make room for the 29g. I don't know if I want the hassle of raising fry either!!!.
I might get one of those plastic storage containers and put that under the 29g's stand.

There wouldn't be a fear of me having 4 tanks. Wel for ya. My wife would flip. Was a push to get the second one. That started as a plan for a 30 ltr did my sons room and then we saw the one we got. If I can get credit great if not i don't mind as all I wanted was to watch one batch develop. I was thinking platys as one of the new fish in my second tank, do they breed readily as I dunno if I want the hassle of fry all the time

There wouldn't be a fear of me having 4 tanks. Wel for ya. My wife would flip. Was a push to get the second one. That started as a plan for a 30 ltr did my sons room and then we saw the one we got. If I can get credit great if not i don't mind as all I wanted was to watch one batch develop. I was thinking platys as one of the new fish in my second tank, do they breed readily as I dunno if I want the hassle of fry all the time
It is cool watching them grow. The GF is not too happy about this new tank but as she said, I could "blow my money on worse things". Platys are livebearers, as you may know, so they give birth to live fry every 4 wks. They are prolific breeders but if you don't want to keep the fry, just let her have the fry in the tank and the she and/or the other tank mates will eat them. Other livebearers include, guppies, mollies, swordtails, platies, endlers. I think that's it.
My local store is independent, small, in need of a good revamp but I love it. Staff very friendly. It's called Pet Central. It has just been taken over in the last few weeks and apparently the new owner has 'big' plans for it. We'll wait and see!!!!

I found a little pet shop today that will take some of them as well. He said will give me some food in exchange. But he had these guppies that the colour of them I have never seen the like so am getting some of them instead in exchange. They look fantastic

Hi and welcome to AA agaul. Sorry mate, I meant to say hello last night. Multi threading!!!. What's it like over there, aquarium wise. Prices, stock, equipment???

Well when u convert Chinese money to euro it's all very cheap haha. I've got platies and guppies, two tanks, the main one is I think 20gal n the other is just a mini tank on the table for my fry. I have two heavily pregnant guppies too, looking like they r going to pop this week. I'm new to the hobby, still learning, but enjoying this hobby a lot

Back
Top Bottom