Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well personally the PAH near me are great, I will admit there is one or two staff that don't seem to know much about fish other than the basics but there are 5 or 6 that are always really helpful and most of whom have tanks or had them and still keep upto date on all the latest stuff. I've bought multiple fish from there and the only problem (which isn't a problem really) is I bought 2 BN plecs and the male of the pair has turned a lighter gravel kind of colour BUT he seems perfectly healthy, always active and eating well.

I go there a lot of advice (I do my research first but its always good to hear someone else's advice first hand) I also shop at my LFS (which also sell other pets but mainly fish) and they are good too but sometimes I find it hard to get their attention and get the advice I need because they're trying to make their money. I have two other LFS in around 15minute drive and I need to try those out yet but PAH I find to be great if you get to know who's who and can separate the people who are clearly there just because they want the money and the people that are there because they love animals and what they do

Wayne487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wouldn't use either PaH or Maidenhead, both are too expensive. The 3 PaH near me also have too many dead fish in their tanks and very little choice, while the 2 Maidenhead Aquatics have poorly segregated fish in overcrowded tanks.

I find it far better and cheaper to use local independent stockists, who are usually cheaper, have a wider selection of healthy fish and are far more knowledgeable about the fish and local water conditions with regard to what it's best to keep

Dammagpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would never buy fish from my pets at home again. I'm on the Isle of Wight so I've only got one pets at home, and now we've got a Maidenhead aquatics, ill always go there. There tanks are always clean and full of Happy fish. Pets at home always seem to have ill or dead fish in there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Fishies86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had set up a new tank about 2 months ago and went into PaH in Cardiff to get my water tested before adding any fish,when looking at the displays i immediately noticed dead fish in some of the tanks.Now obviously it's a fact of life that fish die but it certainly doesn't show a very good example to leave these dead fish in their tanks,I went back a couple of times after and each time i found the same subsequently I've not been back since

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Mattquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Newbie
In my experience the staff at pets at home are very accurate with their advice and are very knowledgable. Also the products they sell like fish food and chemicals are a lot cheaper than most places but the fish they sell are very expensive and don't seem to last long when I have introduced them into my tanks. The best places to purchase new fish are from smaller sellers.

Dannymac82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:19 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 4 gouramis and two small sharks last month from pah the gouramis died one after the other, there didn't seem any reason why until the last one which had white spot I believe. Unfortunately whatever caused their demise has affected a couple of my other fish. Over the last week I have had 4 die! Won't use them again although the store I used had very nice tanks. Maidenhead aquatics in the Dukeries garden centre in Workshop are brilliant, very knowledgeable and wouldn't sell you an unsuitable fish.

Sent from my A200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
allimalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my experience the PAH near me is actually BETTER than the local aquatic store. The staff are not maybe as clued up as they could be but the fish are kept in much better conditions than the aquatic store and i always see someone on the aquatic section either testing water, treating water, checking the fish etc. I would actually rather buy fish from PAH if I have to choose between them. My local aquatics store have tanks full of dead fish, they cram way to many fish into tiny tanks and you can see they are struggling to move around and large fish in small tanks are fighting and ripping each other apart all the time. I've no doubt they are all full of disease too!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
kelly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #98
It seems to vary a lot. Plants are fabulous I've found, but fish can be a bit hit and miss.

I've found that having a look in all the tanks first - if there are any with unwell fish I come back in another week and usually its completely different. They are really good at replacing dead fish if you go back to the shop and say its dead - they just give you a new one!

Knowledge is shocking - one woman almost wouldn't let me buy platies for my tropical tank because apparently they're cold water only....
Sands_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #99
Pets at Home on the Isle of Man is horrid. Dead fish in the tank and in one tank the other fish were eating the dead one who had no eyes already. Truly disgusting, my stomach turns just thinking about it

Kione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Activist
Last Thursday I went to an independent aquatics shop in Neston, Wirral, UK called Waterworld where I have got all my fish from. They are usually spot on for getting fish from, tanks always looked crystal clear and healthy.

So when I walked in there I was horrified to see the state some of the tanks were in. Dead fish in every other tank. There was one tank in particular which was disgusting, it was that bad I took pictures of it. All the fish in the tank were either dying or dead, I counted at least 7 dead fish. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429541169.386311.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	270492Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429541190.885397.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	270493Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429541208.517659.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	270494Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429541224.501372.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	270495

The water in this tank was brown, murky and horrible. The pictures don't do it justice. I soon walked out of there and won't be going back anytime soon!

I made the trip to pets at home in bromborough, Wirral, to have a look at the fish there. All the tanks were spot on, clean and full of healthy fish which was nice to see. So all in all I was very impressed with my local pets at home.

smoutylad22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com