Pets at Home (UK nationwide pet store)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Samzter said:
Really? You have bad experience with Maidenhead? Where I am, the Chichester one is amazing! They Have huge amounts of tropical and marine fish! They are my fav shop. They give me discount too!

Yeah, they have a good selection, but just tend to lack enthusiasm and tank checks, Ripples are the best for me, Bridgemere, got my tank from there and the fish are spot on. Just a 45 minute drive from my house. I went into a shop in stoke-on-trent today, and I was shocked, fish dead in many tanks, most at some degree of rotting, two female fighters so decayed there was little left. I counted 15 dead then got bored and left.

Wow. Sometimes it's the staff which let the place down. The local Maidenhead near me has good healthy fish. Never lost one of there's ( apart from a platy which had dropsy) I've only ever seen one dead fish. They seem to know their stuff where I am ;)

You've hit the nail on the head, you can't just shop blindly under the impression that Maidenhead are good, and p@h are pants, it's the people that make it and people are indeed different. Use your head, ask questions and spend time looking at the fish you want. Make your decision based on your observations.

Quick question. In America they have dollar per gallon sales. Do pets at home have pound per gallon sales?

garfy said:
Right and there expensive too!!!

Yes! I only go for the fluval ones. My last setup came to over£600 ! That was for decor, plants, substrate, tank and stand. I have found one which is of a good size for £40. Its probably about 30 gallons.

I bought my tank on E-Bay for £70 with stand.Its 125 imperial Gallons or 143 US Gallons. I made the hood myself for about £40 and i've probably spent about £1000 on filters,fish and decor.

In Wrexham, North Wales the P@H stock isn't too bad. Nice clean tanks. No dead fish seen in around 10 visits now. Staff are a little hit and miss.

Jon

P@H is fine as long as you know what you want.The one near me in Farnborough has clean tanks and no dead fish.Unfortunately they added a vets to the store and it was the fish that took the hit.They now don't stock African cichlids anymore and only sell rams and firemouth's so I just get food and stuff like that.Maidenhead Aquatics Reading is near me and it's a good store so I buy my fish there.
I'd love to find a good Online supplier with an extensive stock.

I live in kent and i must say the Gravesend PAH is terrible , i was there today and some of the tanks had so much algae you couldnt see into them while others were full of dead or dieing fish. However i have bought 2 otos from PAH a few weeks ago and they are doing just fine :angel: I do agree with what some of you have said though they are good for meds , deco etc ;)

Just thought I'd sing the praises of Pets at home on Newport road in Cardiff. Beautiful selection of fish all look really well and some really knowledgable staff. It's a shame not all pets are like this

PAH Newtownabbey, Belfast - about 2 months ago called in to get some stuff for the dog and had a check of their stock. Whole tank full of GBR covered in ich, when I told the girl she said, ich what's that? and looked at me like I was an idiot, on telling her she probably needs to QT the tank, she said it would be okay they would treat the tank but any fish not showing signs she could sell to me - seriously would not buy anything from them again, if my download quota was not done I would upload a picture, it was a bloody disgrace - the out outbreak must have been in the tank for at least over a week, never seen fish as bad. There was also dead fish in a lot of the tanks, African Cichlid tank was like a graveyard of fish, which was probably due to a medium sized Oscar in it.

We went too pets at home near us just for a look & a man was in shouting how he,d bought a parrot fish off them & it turned out to have tb, he said it had wiped his whole tank out, he was really angry with the manager who said he couldn't do anything about it but quarantine the other fish. So the manager put a sign on the tank & the other guy left, he hadn't been gone 5min & the manager walked over & took the sign back off. Couldn't believe it! I'm glad I don't buy my fish from their. That's appalling.

Kinda think it's hard to comment on P @ H as a whole as there's 300+ stores and there's been a handful of comments. The store local to me has 4 OATA qualified people and someone is constantly in the dept cleaning tanks, taking any problems ( dead and alive ) out of tanks and when listening to them they ask all the right questions.

I live in Manchester and do go to the pets at home in Bolton, there is one lad in there that knows what he is talking about and does seem to love his fish, most of the staff at these kind of places just get a job there cos its a job not really in to fish (maybe there for other pets), I have seen a few dead fish in the tanks but only the random one. I went to a place called Dave's aquarium in Bolton, it's massive and has loads of tanks in there but they don't seem to be looked after I don't think I will be going back to them, I am still looking for some where in the Manchester area that stock a wide rage of fish and tanks, as I am going to upgrade my tank to a 200 - 250 ltr can anyone tell us where the best place is to get them from?

StuMcc99 said:
I live in Manchester and do go to the pets at home in Bolton, there is one lad in there that knows what he is talking about and does seem to love his fish, most of the staff at these kind of places just get a job there cos its a job not really in to fish (maybe there for other pets), I have seen a few dead fish in the tanks but only the random one. I went to a place called Dave's aquarium in Bolton, it's massive and has loads of tanks in there but they don't seem to be looked after I don't think I will be going back to them, I am still looking for some where in the Manchester area that stock a wide rage of fish and tanks, as I am going to upgrade my tank to a 200 - 250 ltr can anyone tell us where the best place is to get them from?

If you go on sealers they have some deals on 200 and 240 fluvals with stands.

Back
Top Bottom