Platy love problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_friend

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 95litre tank with 13 fish getting more. I had two platys but the female one passed away due to high nitrate that has now been sorted out. the remaining one was lonely so I bought a mickey mouse platy and a normal platy. after getting them home and researching them I discovered the mickey mouse was male and the normal platy was female. also my current platy was male. I know you are meant to have a ratio of 1 male to 2 females but i'm not taking them back or getting any more so don't tell me to. apart from a bit of chasing at the start, the males don't seem at all interested in my female. is this because there are more males than females or is this normal?

oh also I DO want fry and have all the things needed for keeping them and helping them survive. any matchmaking tips would be appreciated! :smitten:

IMG_1770.JPG
this is my male mickey mouse platy

IMG_1771.JPG
this is my female platy

IMG_1775.jpg
this is my male platy

I have a 95litre tank with 13 fish getting more. I had two platys but the female one passed away due to high nitrate that has now been sorted out. the remaining one was lonely so I bought a mickey mouse platy and a normal platy. after getting them home and researching them I discovered the mickey mouse was male and the normal platy was female. also my current platy was male. I know you are meant to have a ratio of 1 male to 2 females but i'm not taking them back or getting any more so don't tell me to. apart from a bit of chasing at the start, the males don't seem at all interested in my female. is this because there are more males than females or is this normal?

oh also I DO want fry and have all the things needed for keeping them and helping them survive. any matchmaking tips would be appreciated! :smitten:

this is my male mickey mouse platy

this is my female platy

this is my male platy

Right, so you don't want to help the female in any way. Even if leave her with them could lead to death? What's the other stock? Those fry would most likely get eaten. The female might not even have fry due to being so stressed by the males...

I have decided to get some more female platies in the end. and I have a breeding tank that I will put her in to have the fry. tank stock: dwarf gouramis, flying foxes, neon tetras, rts, bronze catfish

Back
Top Bottom