Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Shrimp

Hi guys & girls, has anyone got experience of keeping freshwater shrimp? Need some info if poss from people who know rather than trawling the Internet. Need housing advice, feeding advice. Cheers muckas.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scunnypaxo
Hi guys & girls, has anyone got experience of keeping freshwater shrimp? Need some info if poss from people who know rather than trawling the Internet. Need housing advice, feeding advice. Cheers muckas.
I'm currently keeping red cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon tank with only an air powered sponge filter as filtration. They don't like much flow so that should e considered. They are scavengers so they eat all the time but mine prefer the hirikari sinking algae wafers. Shrimp also love a planted tank so that is a plus. They don't like having other fish in the tank though, so breeding would slow down with other fish present but it isn't impossible for them to breed. Baby shrimp make a great snack though.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #3

Thanks. Do you have rocks in there as well?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No not really only the one that has my java moss attached to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2841790304.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	124446   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2119603164.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	124447  

Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Cool, cheers
Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by scunnypaxo View Post
They are easy to keep. As was mentioned, they don't need much. A 5 -10gal with a sponge filter is more than enough for a colony of RCS or other smaller Neo's. Simple Plants like Java Moss, Java Fern and Anubias would do nicely along with some DW and a few rocks wouldn't hurt.

You can start with inexpensive shrimp like Ghost Shrimp. After a month, you can go with RCS and or Amano Shrimp. All three of these I find are relatively easy to find at LFS's.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon

They are easy to keep. As was mentioned, they don't need much. A 5 -10gal with a sponge filter is more than enough for a colony of RCS or other smaller Neo's. Simple Plants like Java Moss, Java Fern and Anubias would do nicely along with some DW and a few rocks wouldn't hurt.

You can start with inexpensive shrimp like Ghost Shrimp. After a month, you can go with RCS and or Amano Shrimp. All three of these I find are relatively easy to find at LFS's.
Anabolic shrimp are really cool. Very sturdy and make a nice addition to a tank despite their lack of colour. The only problem is they need brackish water for breeding, unlike red cherry shrimp.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've been keeping Amano shrimp in my 64l tank and they seem very happy. Funnily enough they are probably the least fussy species out of them all contrary to belief! However Ammonia should be zero for these guys with a planted tank with sand substrate being preferable. Buy some moss balls if you can but not essential. Would recommend some bog wood too to keep them happy. Only other advice I can give is make sure they are compatible with other fish to avoid them becoming an expensive meal!

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com