UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Jimlor. What do you keep?

I have a pond small koi pond, will be ok for a few years.

1 goldfish tank and 1 tropical tank. and 1 small tank yet to decide what to put in there.

Neo79 said:
Hi Jimlor. What do you keep?

I have a pond small koi pond, will be ok for a few years.

1 goldfish tank and 1 tropical tank. and 1 small tank yet to decide what to put in there.

Iv just recently re started tropical fish keeping, but having teething problems with a bacterial bloom :(. So running slow. And no fish as yet. Hopefully soon. Used to have all sorts before.:)

tinkster87 said:
Im in Diss, south norfolk so quite close also..

Tank still cycling approaching 4 weeks now...

Keep the faith with the fishless cycling, it'll be worth it in the end :) Does test your patience though waiting for the one day that little test tube doesn't go purple!!

tinkster87 said:
Ha ha cheers mate... Tell me about it, I hate waiting!!

Every morning I'd test & it'd go purple, then one day it didn't! Nearly spat my coffee out :) Then I retested to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me!!!

Ha ha!!! I can't wait for that day!!! Though think my ammonia levels is suffering more than No2 at moment... No2 has gone all way back to 0.25 but my ammonia has now gone very sluggish

Hey everyone, just realised that there is actually a brit forum on this site Doh!!
I been on here for a few months and think the site is excellent, on here everyday checking stuff out! I'm from Hampshire and got a Six ft reef and a fairly new predator tank with a Radiata and Jacktator puffer. Anyone else from Hants?

Hi everyone I wanna put some rock in in my tank, is ocean rock ok, also how much would you recommend, the dimensions of my tank is 100cm x 40cm x 40 cm.
Also what can I put underneath to even the load so that I dnt crack the bottom of my tank?

Any help wouldn't greatly appreciated.

Don't know about how suitable ocean rock would be sorry. You can get sort of eggbox like stuff that you can put on the bottom of the tank for the rocks to sit on as a cushion. Have you thought about slate or quartz for the rocks, they are both inert and safe to put in the tank. Funny cos I was just having a similar conversation at my lfs this morning regarding rocks for a new build I'm thinking about, didn't cover ocean rock though :(

Ocean rock is ok, not that commonly found I don't think. Try and get fiji live cured rock so that your dont have soo many critters. It is more expensive but better IMO.

You can try Egg grate, put it on the very bottom of your tank before anything else.

Ocean rock is fine, it actually has some advantages over live rock as it will not absorb treatments should you have problems with disease etc. Of course live rock is nicer to look at and more interesting. As for the weight etc I wouldn't bother that much, the water that you will displace with the rock going in there will even out a fair bit as long as you use common sense and don't overload one end of the tank. Just ensure there is plenty of sand or gravel under your rock and it allows it to bed in nicely! Hope this helps!

Thanks alot for all the comments, I'm gonna get some egg crate just to be on the safe side.

I think I'm gonna go with the ocean rock because it is less expensive (on a buget lol).

How much do u think I will need I have no idea I'm new to all this. Also how would I go about cleaning ocean rock?

Once again thanks for all you're comments.

paulace2372 said:
Hey everyone, just realised that there is actually a brit forum on this site Doh!!
I been on here for a few months and think the site is excellent, on here everyday checking stuff out! I'm from Hampshire and got a Six ft reef and a fairly new predator tank with a Radiata and Jacktator puffer. Anyone else from Hants?

Woo! Someone from Hampshire :D I'm technically part of Hampshire :) I live on the isle of Wight. My mum lives in Portsmouth though, just down the road from a Maidenhead aquatics that I was drooling over :) whereabouts are you?

Woo! Someone from Hampshire :D I'm technically part of Hampshire :) I live on the isle of Wight. My mum lives in Portsmouth though, just down the road from a Maidenhead aquatics that I was drooling over :) whereabouts are you?

I'm just outside of Portsmouth, did you know that Maidenhead was heading to IOW soon??? I spoke to one of the partners from there a couple of weeks ago and he told me! Do you have any good aquarium places over there at the mo? Portsmouth has a couple but from time to time they can be ropey!

paulace2372 said:
I'm just outside of Portsmouth, did you know that Maidenhead was heading to IOW soon??? I spoke to one of the partners from there a couple of weeks ago and he told me! Do you have any good aquarium places over there at the mo? Portsmouth has a couple but from time to time they can be ropey!

Really?! You have just made my day! :D how exciting! I think it was the Havant one we went to which was really nice. I was very impressed. We did have a fantastic shop here, but it closed down in march :( they're all pretty mediocre here now.

Really?! You have just made my day! :D how exciting! I think it was the Havant one we went to which was really nice. I was very impressed. We did have a fantastic shop here, but it closed down in march :( they're all pretty mediocre here now.

Yep, so I am told and given that there will likely only be one on the IOW I bet it will be amazing with a good stockholding! The Havant one is good, huge! who knows... I may even take a trip over and have a look at iow myself! if you ever get a chance to have a look over in Totton in southampton, creature comforts it rather good as is Maidenhead in fairoak.

Seems like I'm a lucky girlie! Coxwell Aquatics has just moved to Oxfordshire from Wolverhampton so I'll be getting another pretty decent lfs! Yay! There are already 2 Maidenhead Aquatics near me and a few pretty good independants. Squuueeeeeeee :D

I love the yanks but i am so pleased to find a lot of fellow Limeys on this site. I live in north Surrey and i am so lost with this Marine keeping that i may as well be on the moon.

Back
Top Bottom