UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Close! Don't bother getting any fish from the Lewes pet shop-his supply is rubbish.
Did you cope with the power cut?

Sarah Brearley said:
Hi. Thanks for your advice regarding my Platy's. I'm from Huddersfield, but now live in Leeds.

Hi Sarah its cool that we are both in West Yorks! Glad to be of help :) seems that the shop you mentioned gave you some strange advice, hope your platy is doing ok. Let me know if you think I can help you with any thing else :)

Thanks Samantha. Little platy has been at the bottom of the tank all evening again looking very unhappy. He seemed ok most of the day though. I keep worrying at night, thinking he might not make it.
Please could you advise whether I should still treat the water when i do the daily part water changes? Scared of overdosing them and at the same time worried that water straight from the tap is wrong!
One other thing is the filter, which is really noisy! It's driving my husband crazy! Do you think it us faulty. Also, should I clean the filter this week, now that I need to do daily water changes? Would this upset the bacteria balance?
Sorry to ask so many questions! I really appreciate any advice you can give me.
Sarah

Thanks Samantha. Little platy has been at the bottom of the tank all evening again looking very unhappy. He seemed ok most of the day though. I keep worrying at night, thinking he might not make it.
Please could you advise whether I should still treat the water when i do the daily part water changes? Scared of overdosing them and at the same time worried that water straight from the tap is wrong!
One other thing is the filter, which is really noisy! It's driving my husband crazy! Do you think it us faulty. Also, should I clean the filter this week, now that I need to do daily water changes? Would this upset the bacteria balance?
Sorry to ask so many questions!V I really appreciate any advice you can give me.
Sarah

Aww you sound like me when i've had a sick fish, you just want to do all to help them. Just dose your water change with stress coat as this will make it safe, treat water before adding to tank and try to get it as close to possible temp wise to your tank water to avoid temp shock. I use kettle water to top up. What filter do you have so i can advise on the noise? Just rinse your filter media in old tank water every 2 weeks. Never use tap water, this way you wont be killing your beneficial bacteria. Just squeeze gently and the gunk will come out.
P

Thanks for the advice. Little platy has fed this morning, but keeps going back to the bottom of the tank under the plants. The other platy is bullying him a bit, pushing him around.
I'm still trying to figure out what sex they are. Their fins are so small that it's hard to tell! I'm hoping they're not both male. The store told me when I bought them that you can't tell the sex of them, but of course I've found out since that you can! I don't think I'll be going to that store again after all the bad advice they've given me!
Is there anywhere you can recommend for me to go when I need to buy more supplies and when I get the bigger tank eventually, please?
The filter came with the tank and is a Jebo Q112. The bubbling is really loud and makes the water move quite fast, but the fish swim fine with it, it isn't pulling them along. It's just so loud!

Hi all I'm from Leicester any reefers in the local area??

Attachments

• image-1880981589.jpg
    image-1880981589.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom